Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Jan 2007 08:55:13 -0800
From:         Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: women and standard gearbox
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@pobox.com>

I use both the parking brake and leave it in gear. Curb too, if possible. I'd rather worry about transmission damage (remote possibility) than worry about what my car might crush if it rolls.

Off of the Vanagon theme, on a modern (timing BELT) engine, you want to choose a gear in which the engine will turn forward if the car moves-avoid having the timing belt jump if engine turns backwards. We have a hilly driveway, so I pull in, set the brake, and put the car in reverse.

Raymond

On 1/3/07, Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@pobox.com> wrote: > > That can happen if you live in (relatively) frozen NJ too... but it > probably means it's time to change the tranny oil. My '73 Super Beetle > used > to stall in neutral on cold days unless I let the clutch out reeeaaally > gradually... (and that was in the mid-80s, so it was practically a new car > at the time :-). > > Tim > > At 09:04 PM 1/2/2007 -0500, Mike Collum wrote: > >If you lived in the frozen north (like northern Maine where I have to go > >southwest to get to Ottawa) you would soon learn to depress the clutch > >even when in neutral. When it's -20º F and I let out the clutch after > >starting, there is a very noticible drag on the engine due to thick > >transmission oil. After it churns a while, it warms up and things get > >back to normal. > > > >Mike > >Houlton, Maine > > > > > > > >TJ Hannink wrote: > >>When in doubt, consult the owners manual. > >> > >> From page 26: > >> > >> "Always set the parking brake when parking your vehicle. Move the > >> selector lever to "P" (Automatic transmission) of move the gearshift > >> lever to "R" or "1" (Manual transmission). On hills also turn the > wheels > >> toward the curb." > >> > >> That being said, I always park mine in neutral and start it with out > >> using the clutch. > >> > >> No particular reason, just have always done it that way. > >> > >> Good luck, > >> > >> > >>TJ Hannink > >>Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition > >>1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33SB > >>Full-timing in Paradis, Louisiana > >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers > >>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FC_wanderlodge > >> __________________________________________________ > >>Do You Yahoo!? > >>Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around > >>http://mail.yahoo.com >