Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 2007 12:43:21 -0800
From:         neil <musomuso@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Air Cooled Engine Swap Choices?
Comments: To: "Wetzel, Scott" <scott.wetzel@mso.umt.edu>

On 1/1/07, Wetzel, Scott <scott.wetzel@mso.umt.edu> wrote: > The engine in my van went to the giant VW junkyard in the sky in September and I have been weighing my options for a replacement. I have looked through the archives pretty thoroughly for potential engine swaps for my 82 Aircooled Westy and besides the Porsche 3.2 engine, I haven't found any mentioned. I know that there are several options for water cooled vans, how difficult would they be (and how expensive) to fit into my van?

Hey Scott.

Finally someone I may be able to help on this list!

I own an 81 Westy. I have given much thought to which engine I will eventually swap in.

I have considered the Subie 2.2, VW inline 4 gasser. (from Jetta/Golf) and diesel I4 (1.9 AAZ. Proper code?). IMO, each has its' pros and cons. So......

When I finally decide, these are some of the factors I'll weigh out:

- what properly maintained donor car is available locally - what parts (VW Subie etc) will be available while travelling - which is simplest in terms of install (setting aside the obvious extra work of installing cooling system) - which one doesn't require raising engine lid (though that's not a tough work-around)

From what I've gathered, any "modern" VW/Subie choice will be an improvement in fuel efficiency and reliability over the VW AC 2L. Any choice will provide real heat. Generally speaking, parts shouldn't be hard to find for either. In terms of the engine itself, either choice, if it was properly maintained by PO and subsequently by you, should prove to be reliable. As for swap related parts/potential issues, that may be a different matter.

There **may** be some swap issues relating to either a VW or Subie swap. Bleeding cooling system **may** be more difficult on Subie and less so on an I4 VW. There **may** be vibration issues with a gasser VW I4. From what I've read (and there are some really helpful knowledgable people on this list. Check out Diesel vanagong, Subie and Tiico list) these and other swap problems can be solved. If you're looking for AC swap related info, check out the subie and/or Tiico list. I recall there was at least one fellow who had done the AC to wasser thing.

Not that you asked for all this info....... ;^)

Cheers,

Neil Nicholson. 1981 Air Cooled Westfalia.

http://web.mac.com/tubaneil