Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:25:00 -0500
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Holey muffler, Batman!
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>

> >It is just the removal of the old muffler with all of its almost solid >rusted nuts and bolts that is the problem. This is particularly true if >someone doesn't have too many tools and / or hasn't ever tackled this >project before. Grinders and torches are often needed for the removal.

I dunno, Sam... removing my muffler was a snap:

- Heat each nut with a propane torch. - Spray each nut liberally with liquid wrench (while it's still hot from the torch). - Grab your 13mm wrenches, remember, it's "Lefty Loosey"... SNAP!!!

Fortunately (at least on my '85), the muffler is held to the cat with through-bolts, so there's no little stub left threaded and rust-welded on the bus... the only one I had to pray real hard about was the bolt holding the end of the muffler strap. Luckily, the strap was rotted in two pieces, so it was easy to get the muffler out of the way *before* going to work on that bolt... makes a lot more room to work!

Tim

At 02:01 PM 1/5/2007 -0500, you wrote: >Ken, > >Sure, new mufflers aren't that hard to install. But don't make it sound >easier than it is. > >It is just the removal of the old muffler with all of its almost solid >rusted nuts and bolts that is the problem. This is particularly true if >someone doesn't have too many tools and / or hasn't ever tackled this >project before. Grinders and torches are often needed for the removal. > >Sam > > >-- >Sam Walters > >Baltimore, MD