Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:26:11 -0500
From:         Jack R <jack007@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: 84 clutch, etal

Jack

When I first did my own clutch on my 84 Westy, we too dropped the tranny, and the entire job took about 5 hours. One thing to note, if you machine the flywheel, be careful with your clutch afterwards. I was pulling my light-weight boat out of the water, and the extra friction caused the now thinner flywheel to warp. After that experience, I always had a hopping feel when engaging the clutch into 1st gear.

No longer a problem, now that my motor / flywheel has been replaced with the 1991 - 2.1L.

One other tip, if you haven't done so already, now is a GREAT time to change-out your tranny fluid. AMSOIL Gear Lubes exceed the lubrication and performance requirements for gear boxes, be sure to use GL-4. http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/GL4-Synthetic-Manual-Transmission-Lube.php Cheap insurance, to make sure your tranny lasts for many miles to come.

I had a tip from a mechanic who said to run ATF fluid in the manual trans for about 100 miles, since the detergents are so good, then put in the AMSOIL. (I wonder what others are thinking about this advice???).

Jack R.