Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:39:02 -0600
From:         Jerry <jbvelo@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Re: LEAKING WINDSHIELD SEAL
Comments: To: Rob <becida@comcast.net>

It really rained hard here today with temp at or near 60 degrees F. NO LEAK from my windshield, 0, zilch. I think I finally got it completely sealed. There was a post yesterday stating that maybe my windshield seal channel was rusted with a couple of holes. That is not the case. I have no rust on my Vanagon. The problem originated when my windshield cracked and I had my insurance company replace the Vanagon windshield. The company that replaced the windshield used a common 1 piece seal that fit rather loosely in the windshield channel. In fact when I was injecting silicone sealant between the seal and the body channel there seemed to be at least 1/16" gap between the seal(inside) and the body. I made sure to get a real good bead of silicone around the entire perimeter of the seal. Had I used an original VW windshield seal I may not have experienced this problem. Anyway, rain water was getting in at the top corners and running down along the channel and dripping on the floor mats. The seal the guy used just didn't fit tight enough.

Like I said, I used a DULL butter knife to pry the out side edge of the seal up away from the body. I angled the butter knife and used it to LEAD ahead of the silicone tip. This way I was able to force the silicone plastic tip in between the seal and the body. I never touched the body with the butter knife. I exerted force on the seal up and away from the body exposing the windshield channel.

Make sure your seal and windshield channel are completely dry before using silicone. I used isopropyl alcohol and compressed air to dry the water up. You can also use contact cleaner or small amounts of Coleman fuel as it contains a drying agent and (NO SMOKING) dries up real fast. It must be exposed to warm dry air to get it completely clean and dry. If the windshield channel is dirty or wet the sealant won't adhere to the metal and neoprene seal.

Jerry 88 GL BUS-ter

-----Original Message----- From: Rob [mailto:becida@comcast.net] Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2007 11:28 PM To: Jerry Subject: Re: LEAKING WINDSHIELD SEAL (p-mail)

Hi Jerry, I have the same leak, really looking forward to how it works out for you after the next rain.

Rob becida@comcast.net In wet wet wet western Washington State.

At 1/4/2007 04:16 PM,Jerry wrote: >ALL, you may have seen several posts last week > >about leaky windshield seals on Vanagon's. I finally > >fixed mine so I'll relay to listeners what my problem was. > >It wasn't the antenna seal, I did install a new antenna > >but I new I had an effective seal there. > >I thought I had my problem leak fixed until I drove my > >Vanagon the same day. I parked the vehicle for a while > >while it was still raining and when I returned there was > >rainwater standing in my rubber floormats on both sides. > >I waited for another warm day(60 degrees) and parked > >the Vanagon facing the bright sunshine. Previously I > >used silicone sealant on the lower corners of the windshield > >extending the sealant coverage toward the middle of the windshield. > >I pried the seal away from the body channel with a butter knife > >and squirted a good bead of sealant between the seal and the > >windshield channel. > >I didn't put any sealant at the top corners extending down > >toward the lower corners on each side. Seems the rain water > >was leaking in at the top corners of the windshield seal and > >running down the seal channel to the inside of the vehicle. > >Drove me nuts for a while. > >BOTTOM LINE: Be sure to seal the entire circumference > >of the windshield between the seal and the frame seal channel. > >I think mine is finally sealed, I'll know in the morning! > > > >Jerry > >KY 88 GL BUS-ter