Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Jan 2007 19:15:16 -0500
From:         Wil Haslup <whaslup@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: LEAKING WINDSHIELD SEAL

Glad you don't have any more leak but I'm wondering about the replacement seal if it was that loose in the first place.

I had my '80 Vanagon windshield replaced due to a crack when I bought it.

I found a used windshield in a yard and had a windshield guy do it for me 'off the clock' for $50 at his shop.

He used the string and worked it around but he had to really work to get mine to finally pop in. It was very tight.

Shops commonly use a 'urethane' based sealant which doesn't promote rust...and this is what he used on mine...I don't recall any smell.

You should be aware that some 'silicone' sealants release acetic acid vapor as they cure....smells like vinegar. These can promote rust where they contact the metal. While you may not have a leak or rust now, depending on the actual composition of the sealant you used it may be an issue in the future. Keep an eye on it and if you start seeing signs you may have to pull it again, clean out the sealant and the channel and buy a new seal and do it all over.

Jerry wrote: > It really rained hard here today with temp > at or near 60 degrees F. NO LEAK from my > windshield, 0, zilch. I think I finally got > it completely sealed. > There was a post yesterday stating that maybe my > windshield seal channel was rusted with a couple of > holes. That is not the case. I have no rust on > my Vanagon. The problem originated when my windshield > cracked and I had my insurance company replace the > Vanagon windshield. The company that replaced the > windshield used a common 1 piece seal that fit rather > loosely in the windshield channel. In fact when I was > injecting silicone sealant between the seal and the > body channel there seemed to be at least 1/16" gap > between the seal(inside) and the body. I made sure > to get a real good bead of silicone around the entire > perimeter of the seal. Had I used an original VW > windshield seal I may not have experienced this problem. > Anyway, rain water was getting in at the top corners > and running down along the channel and dripping on > the floor mats. The seal the guy used just didn't fit tight enough.

--

Wil