Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Jan 2007 10:40:26 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@GWTC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roadside Troubles while on Vacationing

I had driven a girlfriend from Sacramento to Hampshire College in Massachusetts in early 1974 in my Green 66 camper. I remember driving on I-40 through Albuquerque around midnight with our sleeping bags on. I had a two and a half pound down bag on with my feet sticking out to operate the pedals. Annie had on her bag as we drove at 25 mph into a 40 mph headwind on the freeway. I was 21, an aimless college grad, she 19, and we were in love.

The closer we got to Hampshire, the more hyper she got. We arrived in the late evening and she had a kind of nervous breakdown. After 24 hours of moteling and talking I left her and headed south to visit friends in Chapel Hill. I stayed there three weeks, writing her every day, waiting for a return word to come back and build our lives.

I got increasingly depressed and finally left, heading north in early february to and uncertain fate. I distinctly remember driving along the blue ridge parkway through its dull, brown and snow covered landscape. I had very little money and little hope. It was one of the supreme low points of my life.

To make the proverbial long story short, I arrived at Hampshire to find she was sharing a dorm room with a rich kid from NYC. I talked with him for an hour before she showed up. Annie and I went to a bar and got drunk (the drinking age was 18 then) and I left for good, with closure. I had like $20 to my name so I went to Boston and got a job at a temp agency for a couple weeks and lived in my camper on the streets of Cambridge. I would get up at 5AM and take the T into the city center to work, and return home at night. I kept water and perishables in the icebox so they wouldn't freeze.

At night after I'd cooked dinner on a bluet backpacking stove I'd put my trusty portable olympia typewriter on my lap and write my heart out. I'd monitor foot traffic, of which there was little, and stop typing when I heard snow crunching footsteps walk by. Now, it's really hard to read what I wrote, so much youth, pathos and confusion.

I put an ad up in Harvard Square somewhere for riders back to california. I met an Iranian who was full of grandiose plans and ideas. He said he'd get me a case of cartons of lucky strike cigarettes as part of our bargain. He didn't show up. A woman whose sister was having a baby came along with me. Here's the roadside troubles while on vacation content. Shortly after leaving Cambridge my generator went out. We were driving on the six volt battery. I know that as soon as I turned the headlights on to drive at night, everything started to get dim. WE pulled off the interstate at one of those toll road truck stops and had the battery charged for six hours while we slept. We made it to Youngstown, OH in the early morning to her drunk brother-in-law whooping it up.

The woman had stopped speaking to me over the last couple hours - she was pissed we'd had to stop, and when we arrived, she was just plain disgusted - she'd missed the birth of her sister's child. The brother-in-law insisted I smoke a bunch of pot before I headed out on my drive to California.

The problem was I had only $60 or so, enough to get me home without buying any food, but not enough to fix the generator. I drove in a potted haze to Alliance, OH where I called a friend and asked him to wire me another $60 so I could get a generator. Of course in those days it took a day to wire money. I spent the night in a VW used car lot, pulling my bus into line with the rest of the near relics for sale.

I got the money, purchased the generator, installed it, made it as far as Kansas City, where I spent seven months driving a school bus to earn enough money to get home. That's a whole other story, of which bus related content is part of the major weave of my life.

Jeffrey Olson Martin SD