Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 00:34:16 -0500
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro van price range - consider an Outback

I recently bought a salvage title 97 Subaru Outback to use as an engine donor for a Vanagon project. (vanagon content)

The Outback was actually too nice to cannibalize so I got it running (transmission issue) and have been driving it the last few weeks in the Northwest. I must say, I'm impressed with the car as a daily driver. While it's no Syncro, it goes anywhere I've had to go during this years crazy winter. It gets decent mileage, and is easy to work on.... their boxer engine is a very nice piece of engineering (especially compared to the VW waterboxer). With the rear seats folded down, The Outback carries an amazing amount of cargo. Because of their usefulness and all weather driveability, they are very popular in Washington State and other places with bad weather (Alaska, Vermont, etc).

While many people on this list only want German vehicles, Subaru has done a really nice job with their product line. They were obviously inspired by German engineering.

I've found the Subaru enthusiasts are ALMOST as dedicated as VW enthusiasts. I've gotten lots of help from community sites such as http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/

Lastly, there is a dealer in Auburn WA that sells OEM Subaru parts to anyone at wholesale prices via the Internet. http://www.1stsubaruparts.com/ Their staff are very helpful if you call with questions.

my 2 cents. -Paul