Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 12:00:27 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Power steering pump and old coolant hoses

The one I replaced was 7mm, and I did use fuel hose, so guess I will re-replace that one with silicone. The one I replaced was also 7mm German fuel hose, who knows how long it was on there. I think I'll take the opportunity to re-route it; out from inside the encirclement of the PS belt as Larry A. did. Larry, did you route it along the PS hose that goes to the PS fluid reservoir?

The other ugly one I noticed needing replacement looks to be about 1 inch diameter and 2 or 3 inches long.

Edward

At 10:48 AM 1/7/2007, Dennis Haynes wrote: >The correct hose is part # 443-121-107-A. It is a silicone 7mm. You squeeze >or band clamps as it is soft. The worm clamps will cut it. The hot >antifreeze will ruin fuel hoses. > >Dennis > >-----Original Message----- >From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of >Edward Maglott >Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2007 2:05 PM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Power steering pump and old coolant hoses > >I have been driving around with no power steering belt since mine fell off >a year or two ago. I like the additional road feel of not having the power >steering going. Also, my old pump was making an annoying noise. So now >that my vanagon is my daily driver, I'm getting a little more aware of the >heavy steering in parking lots and low speed situations. So I swapped in >the pump from my parts van. No noise, that's nice. And it's nice to have >easy steering in low speeds, but I still don't like the lack of road feel >at higher speeds. > >In the process of putting the belt on, I had to disconnect that small >cooling hose that runs from the right head to up by the expansion tank. It >fell apart at the top end, so I cut off 1/2 inch and put it back >on. Started up the van and water squirting out at the other end of the >hose. With its advanced age, and my pulling on it, it let go. Replaced it >with not too much trouble. While I was doing that I noticed a nasty >looking hose that needs to be replaced. (this is a 2.1 engine.) Its about >3 inches long and joins two metal pipes. One goes to the water pump and >the other goes to the right head area. What size is that hose? > >Edward