Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 20:53:46 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon Long trip Reliability
Comments: To: VWVANFULLTIMERS@yahoogroups.com, Syncro@yahoogroups.com,
          syncrolist@yahoogroups.com

James Waldow wrote:

"come to think of it i cant think of anyone i have talked to that hasnt had some kind of trouble on the road.....but dont forget these vehicals are reaching 20years old or more......the same goes for other vehicals in the time frame.........good maintenance is a must......most of us take good care of our vans, and are happy to drive them on long trips.........."

Well, of course all these lists will have stories of someone breaking down or needing help. That what the lists are for. I think that many folks think that only Vanagons break down on trips. Just take a look at all the towing companies around. Break downs are still a part of automotive life. Sure, the Vanagon has some design deficiencies and being 20 years old with 200K miles may not help, but almost anyone who travels any distance will have to deal with breaking down far from home. Of course breakdowns are annoying and in a bad location or weather can even be threatening, but to me, an accident is a larger fear.

Long trips can be hard on vehicles, especially if specifically designed for it. You will tend to drive faster, longer, harder, (hills). This will raise temperatures, test the electrics for long periods, heating wires, switches. Tires, wheel bearings get tested, etc. Things that work perfect normally may not respond as well after being used for 12 hours straight.

I can tell you many stories of folks in non VW's getting stuck and having to pay huge sums of $$ to get their ride running or home again. I have yet to need to tow the Fun Bus home even as it approaches 250K on the original engine but I still remember waiting for a Tow truck on I95 in Florida to tow a 27" motor home that didn't even reach 40K. Day before Christmas eve! That cost almost $900 for a fuel pump. Plus the tow and rental car for 4 days. Yes, have you been stuck with a Ford Lately?

Anyway, I think the real goal is to have a plan to deal with an unknown. There are so many spare parts you can carry and of course an engine or tranny failure or rear wheel bearings will not be road side repairs. Have tow insurance and have money available for the unknown. Think or options. A u haul and trailer can get you and your bus anywhere.

By today's standards, the Vanagon is still fairly reasonable to maintain and simple enough that most can do it or get it done. If you think $2k for a tranny is to much ask some folks with newer cars. I know of a Ford Escape, (2001) 75K miles just blew a tranny going from Maine back to New York that died near Boston. Had it towed to dealer, almost $4k after tax and it still wasn't right. He had had to bring it back to get the linkage fixed. You need to maintain it, drive it within its limits, and be aware. Don't let a radiator fan not working to cause a boil over. Drive and enjoy it, with proper care and use, your old Vanagon can take you almost anywhere.

Dennis