Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:59:19 -0800
Comments:     RFC822 error: <W> MESSAGE-ID field duplicated. Last occurrence
              was retained.
From:         Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>
Subject:      Re: Baie Comeau to Labrador to Newfoundland propane and gasoline
              and 2WD

Yes, there is propane in Labrador City and Goose Bay. There are even Tim Hortons in both of those towns for those Canadians who need their Timbits fix.

I would recommend carrying an extra 5-10 gallons of gasoline for the long stretches. Fuel in Churchill Falls (about 1/2 way between Labrador City and Goose Bay) is somewhat more expensive than in Goose Bay. With an extra gas can, you should make it from Fermont/Labrador City to Goose Bay.

---

In summer 2006, Many vehicles we saw on the roads in Labrador were regular 2WD cars (honda's, Chevy's, ford cars etc). Perhaps in previous years the road was not so good. There were sections that needed grading, but you can just drive a little slower over the rough bits.

If you stay on the main roads, 2WD vanagon will be fine. We all know a 2WD Vanagon will outperform most 2WD vehicles on bumpy roads. We saw a blue 89-91 2WD westy from Ontario going the other way. The owner said no trouble at all with his Westy.

We only needed Syncro capability twice in Labrador, both times going off the main road to nice camping spots alongside a lake etc. Most "gravel pit campsites" in Labrador are like the ones in Newfoundland, they are accessible with a 2WD vanagon.

Lastly, the gas station in Fermont QC was slightly cheaper than in Labrador City a few KM's away. Fill up in Fermont!....though we shouldn't complain about the price of gas for such trip....so what if you spend an extra few hundred bucks in gas vs going somewhere more accessible. Your memories will be priceless!