Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:54:34 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Baie Comeau to Labrador to Newfoundland (gas price)

Well, the price of land will factor in - capital costs of building a gas station, also property taxes (operating costs related to land value). (You have property taxes in Canada, yes? Do you call them rates, like the Brits?) Fuel delivery costs may vary with congestion in urban areas. Lots of factors play into gas prices. I'm sure there are transportation economists who have analyzed regional variations in fuel prices, no doubt they have more complete explanations. But this list is about vanagons, not transportation economics!

Joy

________________________________________ From: Greg Potts [mailto:greg@pottsfamily.ca] Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2007 11:19 PM To: Joy Hecht Cc: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Baie Comeau to Labrador to Newfoundland (gas price)

Hi Joy,

That may be so, but that doesn't explain the difference between Toronto and Ottawa; we're in the same province. By all the economic rules, Toronto should have cheaper gas than Ottawa. We're closer to the refineries AND we have a bigger population.

Part of the problem in Vancouver and Edmonton is that they are boom-towns. Dunno why they're getting soaked in Regina though.

....Well, yes... Actually I do know why:.

"Because they can".

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca