Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Jan 2007 22:42:15 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: '91 Carat - Int. No Start - Fuel Pump Relays?
Comments: To: vanagon-rcampbell@USA.NET

On Jan 1, 2007, at 5:38 PM, Robert Campbell wrote:

> Hello Gang! > > My precious '91 Carat has developed a problem. From time-to-time, > the van will not start. I can tell by listening that the fuel pump > is not powering up. I checked both #53 relays in the engine > compartment, it seems that only one of these engage during the > failure mode. But, the problem is not resolved by swapping the two > #53 relays around. This problem is intermittent! I cannot drive > the van because I don't know where I won't start again.

I recently went through a spate of such problems. Replace the ignition switch. It costs $12 and takes about half an hour. Good instructions in the archives.

Jim

> Has anyone seen anything like this? Do you have insight you can > share with me? The issue seems that only the #53 relay "on the > left" engages. Normal operation seems to be #53 LEFT engage, #53 > RIGHT engage, release #53 LEFT (at this time the fuel pump is > running). > > Please, if you have some info, can you let me know? This is my > daily driver and I'm at the tail end of a kitchen remodel and lack > a good utility vehicle for all the stuff one must get to do all > this kitchen, bathroom, tile, cabinet, backsplash and appliance > work! :-) (I'm so proud of my Vanagon for being able to hold a > full-size range and dishwasher with plenty of room for more stuff > and people too!) > > Thanks gang! Happy New Year to everyone! Let's hope our Vanagons > carry on many fun-filled adventures in this new year! > > -Robert > >

Jim Felder felder@knology.net

"I long ago lost a hound, a bay horse, and a turtle dove, and am still on their trail. Many are the travelers I have spoken to concerning them, describing their tracks and what calls they answered to. I have met one or two who had heard the hound, and the tramp of the horse, and even seen the dove disappear behind a cloud, and they seemed as anxious to recover them as if they had lost them themselves." - henry thoreau