Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:23:52 -0800
From:         BA <oddstray@ODDSTRAY.COM>
Subject:      Re: NAIAS Detroit Opening

Hi,

Waitaminnit ...

Isn't "Airstream" about camping?

Where are the camping facilities in this beast?

That's more than a casual inquiry. Being realists who look unflinchingly at the mortal life-span of our beloved Esme, :~-( we looked recently at a Westphalia-alike.

Minuses

1) It was on a V8 Ford engine and got about 14 mpg. That was the first deal-breaker. (We're getting 18-20 mpg in Esme.)

2) The pop-top sleeping area was shorter "height"-wise, unless one closed it off from the lower level ... but then, how does one climb down to answer the call of nature during the night? Shorter is a serious issue for us vertically-gifted folks.

3) The pop-top sleeping area had less depth at the toe ends. Even in Esme, S's toes are definitely wedged in there!!!

4) With the top popped but "folded back" to make standing-up room in the middle, the ceiling over the passenger seat was noticeably lower than in Esme. So much so that S (6' 1/2" tall) could not comfortably sit in the passenger seat. That was the second deal-breaker.

5) The fridge didn't operate on propane. And the camper only had provision for two deep-cycle batteries (only one comes installed). So if you want to use the fridge you're almost required to have a 110V supply or else run the engine overnight.

6) It was waaaay too obvious that the previous owners were smokers. That lurking odor can just not be covered up. :-{

Plusses:

It has an installed greywater tank, and hot-water heater. Nice for taking showers. (B is happy with a bath-from-a-bowl, but S needs a proper shower to feel right with the world.)

It has hydraulic-assist for the pop-top. B has underdeveloped arm strength and *can**not* lift the pop-top in Esme :-o(

Same old same old:

It has no blackwater tank ... depends on a porta-potty. (The BLM is reputedly strict and will not accept such a setup for camping on their land outside of established campgrounds. Which is great swaths of the US southwest.)

It was reasonably priced ($50,000 asking price, with around 3000 miles on it).

S has been checking out the 'Westfakia's at gtrv.com. They look pretty good. But, lousy gas mileage (and that's just the base vehicle). And, no room fer your feet up top! They have a neat 4x4. (Since we got Esme stuck in sand down in Baja over Christmas vacation, we've been jonesing for a syncro ...) Prices start at $50,000 USD.

B&S '87 Westy 'Esmerelda Blanc' SoCal