Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Jan 2007 01:37:41 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: found a spider-crack in the block between cyl 4 and 6 --
              block toast?
Comments: To: Sudhir Desai <sudhir.desai@GMAIL.COM>

Sudhir,

In the aviation world, an aluminum engine case can be welded, depending on the location of the crack. Most times that kind of welding is only done at certified repair stations and it is very expensive. In the automotive world it's not worth the trouble. The engines don't cost that much, as would be the case with an aircraft engine.

To be absolutely sure about that apparent crack, you could clean it up really good, then apply a dye-penetrant to the crack per the instructions and then look at it with a black light and strong magnyfying glass.That would tell you a lot. However, just looking at the pictures, off the top I would say that one is a goner. Might as well start looking for a new engine.

Good hunting,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Sudhir Desai wrote: > cross-post from svxvanagon group > > ------snip----- > I was tearing down my 3.3liter subaru engine earlier today, and > noticed, after I > pulled both heads, that there was a spider-crack around what looks to > be an oil-passage bolt between cylinders 4 and 6. > >> From my previous experience with al blocks, any cracks mean the block > is kaput. I took some pictures, and would appreciate some feedback. > Keep in mind, this is a pick-n-pull block, so I'm not down too much > money if the suggestion is to make a coffee table. > > links: > > http://pictures.rawsuds.com/d/19967-1/crack_surrounding_area.jpg > http://pictures.rawsuds.com/d/19964-1/crack_closeup.jpg > > thanks in advance, > sudhir > -----snip----- > >