Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:52:58 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: '82 Diesel Westy For Sale in Denver (Glendale) CO
Comments: To: joe trussell <vanagongl@hotmail.com>

On Jan 12, 2007, at 11:35 AM, joe trussell wrote:

> Thanks for all of the info, Jim. Just what I was looking for. > > The interior is in great shape, but it does have rust problems. I > was thinking of this as a very long-term project--get it home, take > it apart, see what I've got, and go from there. I've read a little > bit about the TDI swap and it sounds fairly straightforward, > although there are gearing issues to consider as well.

Karl Mullendore on the diesel group tweaks the internals of the standard Bosch mechanical pump so it will work with the TDI. This obviates the need to wire in a bunch of stuff to make the TDI electronics work in the primitive vanagon, but you get the great TDI engine and its power. Others like the 1.9 NA, the 1.9 turbo, and of course the 1.6 turbo. But with many of these high-powered conversions, there are gearing issues. You want to make sure you end up with a car that's not twisting axles off up to 65 but can't go any faster because it's rev-limited. Anything that came in a 1.6 vanagon is going to be geared pretty low, though I think some people fit waterboxer transmissions to their conversions. I'm not sure though because I've never really looked into it other than building up a TD for my car, which utilized the standard 5-speed just fine. Again, I defer to those on the DV list who have dealt with these issues. > > Is a bent rod a common issue with these? I've searched a couple of > forums and haven't found anything related to this.

I wouldn't say common. You hear about it more than you do on waterboxers, though. Thrown rods and blown head gaskets are undoubtedly the biggest issues with these otherwise tolerant little engines. What follows is my opinion, others may differ.

When the cars were made, the speed limit was 55, the aircooled vanagons were tearing up engines right and left the the waterboxer wasn't ready for production. All these factors led to the two-year adaptation of the already-successful VW diesel 1600 into the vanagon models. You end up with a pretty good package, but now you've got 25- year-old cars with 48 hp engines trying to take these heavy, unaerodynamic vehicles at modern highway speeds. I think the people with the most thrown rods are those who think they can drive 70 all day. 65 seems to be a safe speed, given that you have a healthy engine. The westies are even harder on the little diesel than the regular vans for obvious reasons.

All that said, mine has 255K miles on it and never had a thrown rod. It's not like it's inevitable or anything.

Jim