Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:02:38 -0600
From:         Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: bleeding bloody brakes
Comments: To: Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@VERIZON.NET>

I have a number of short pre-flared brakes lines that I have either picked up at the FLAPS or from a pick & pull place. Using a pair of these I point the cut end down into the maser cylinder which is full of fluid and mounted in my work bench vise. I pump the bore slowly until ALL evidence of ANY bubbles is no longer seen.

Route 66 Rider! Ramon Hill Live Long and Be Free

The air vent hole I am not sure about. The cap has the sensor connector for low fluid, then a blue pin (valve). Looks to be alright.

What I am puzzled about is brake bleeding. I have no idea how to do that. I leave the plastic plugs in, fill reservoir and keep pumping, the vise holding it? 50 times?? I just took it out the other day and did what my idea was of bench bleeding: no plugs, cylinder in vise at angle like in vanagon, filled up reservoir, then pumped several times, cleaned up (had rags all round it). Watched bubbles coming up at rear brake connection (aft). Then reinstalled.

Obviously I don't know w hat I am doing then, because I have no idea what a bleeding kit would look like(obviously wasn't included. The MS came with plugs, but doubt they would hold any pressure (no threads).

Or I ruined the MS. Sometimes I would have it pressurrized at 20psi AND push the pedal...but then why does it work after 1 pump? How come the Bentley or Hanes doesn't mention bench bleeding? Airic, your way is probably the best, though I prefer using the brake pressurizer. Once I get any of my mates involved it will involve several sixpacks, and they'll have a good laugh at me that's for sure.

I am obviously missing:

bench bleeding kit and the understanding and know how of the bench bleeding process. I know some of you explained this, but I still don't get it.

Cheers &TIA