Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Jan 2007 11:12:40 -0800
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: cherrybomb as a mufler

Yes, I have experience using a glasspack as a muffler. There are usually several length choices available. I chose a 24" initially, because I was not running a catalytic converter, and needed the extra length to get to the right-hand hanger/mount. It seemed pretty loud, and rather uncouth. I refitted an empty cat shell, and used an 18", and it was better, but not much.I then used an intact cat, and found it was much better. The cat acts as a muffler, smoothing the worst of the pressure pulses, and getting rid of the worst harmonics. In fact, when one of the struts on the muffler mount broke, I removed the muffler altogether, and just bolted my custom tailpipe directly to the cat. I had to get to my brother's house, where the torch is! The sound with just the cat and tailpipe was not bad, just a little loud.

I am now running a cat, and a "bullet pac", a muffler shaped like a glass pack, with a single baffle in it. It seems to flow well, has the same diameter as the mount I made for the glass pack, and was only about 35 dollars. The sound is louder than stock, but quieter and smoother than the glass pack. Just kind of low, and a bit throaty. And no flatulent "blatt" like so many "tuners" seem so fond of. Yuck...

All of the work I do on my exhaust is mostly philosophical in reason. I refuse to pay 150 dollars or more for a muffler on a regular vehicle. I view that price range as the realm of Ferrari and similar hi-po "toys"...

craig cowan <phishman068@GMAIL.COM> wrote: My muffler needs to be replaced, has anyone got any experience using a cherrybomb in place of the stock muffler? Much cheaper, not to worried about the sound, and it looks like it would fit.

-Craig '85GL