Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 14 Jan 2007 20:10:09 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Carburetor in a Vanagon
Comments: To: jon <jon@KENNEKE.COM>

Hi John,

Importing german parts and keeping older carbs alive is going to be difficult in the long run. As an owner of a daily-driver 73 westy I know of this first-hand. I converted it from dual-carbs to L- jetronic FI two years ago.

And as you said, carbs won't even be an option for those who have to deal with emissions testing. Here in Ontario Canada we have bi-annual testing on anything built in 1987 or later.

A better answer to proprietary FI issues is MegaSquirt, it's a DIY open-source FI system. www.megasquirt.com

I just bought a 1985 VW Cabriolet for my wife, and am getting a quick introduction to the computer-free CIS injection system. That's another possibility that shouldn't be ruled out, since it was used on plenty of 1.6 to 2L VW engines in the Vanagon era.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca