Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Jan 2007 19:52:11 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: radiator bleeding valve
Comments: To: Mike Stainbrook <mike90260@PEOPLEPC.COM>

I think that the brake-bleeder style fitting requires a receptacle that is machined to fit the angle of the bottom of the fitting, and has a "blind" tapped hole in which the threads turn above that machined bottom surface, and actually the setup is a little more complicated than that. But it allows loosening the fitting off the seat to allow brake fluid to pass through the hole in the fitting and out the top of the fitting, or valve.

The radiator, if I'm not wrong, does have threads but it doesn't have the seat for a fitting to stop against (and the brake fitting is the wrong size thread. You could probably use any number of pitcock-style valves as the brass ones you used to see on british car radiator drains that could be adapted with a die to cut threads to match the vanagon radiator. Then you could just turn the lever on top of the valve to release air and not mess with the silly bolt that's in there now.

Anyone know of anything that would work better that would be easier to acquire than a british car part? And who in their right mind would want to trust their vanagon to such anyway? Diesel owners probably know that one of the most likely places for the little 1600 engine to leak is the intermediate shaft seal. Next time you pull the flange off yours to replace the seal, see if it doesn't say "Made in England." Weird that there's one English part on our VWs!

Jim