Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2007 12:56:45 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Flywheel Seal Replacement
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Hi, first i think i have enough info on my page for the clutch part: http://www.benplace.com/vw_clutch_job1.htm

Second, make shure to check the bore hole plug on the lower left and right side of the case: http://www.benplace.com/clutch/100_0021.jpg i have way more probleme with those than the seal itself.

I rarely resurface the flywheel.

check the transmission side, the output seal is a leaker too, it's dificult to tell difference between old trany oil and engine oil. This seal is very easy t replace: http://www.benplace.com/tranmission/DSCF0092.jpg

If you don't want to go back there soon... change everything that is inside the bell-housing.

Cheers, Ben http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------- How deep do I need to go to take care of this leak, avoid future problems, and extend the period in which I will not have to go back into any aspect related to the removing of the transmission.

I know I need a Flywheel Seal. I need a clutch disc - probably I need to resurface - machine - the flywheel face -- probably

Anything else?

Maybe just bite the bullet and install a complete new clutch kit?? It will about double the cost of parts, but a clutch disc alone is in the neighborhood of $75, while a clutch kit - pressure plate, clutch disc, new throw-out bearing is like $180 for a Luk kit, $150 for an alternative brand.