Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jan 2007 18:54:51 +0000
From:         Robert Rountree <syncro87@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Nexen tires

Matthias & Courtney Thanks for our replies Yes I was planning on going 195R14LT 106 LI D rating 8ply... and I don't mind a stiffer ride.. it's not a Land Yacht Caddy ;^) I've now driven out a set of Yokohamas Y370B's at 55lbs front 60lbs by testing how they rode by drawing a chalk line across the face and driving a normal camping load on a level parking lot. At that lbs.per tire the line wore evenly across the face, at 45f- 55R it was a softer ride but, I was riding a lot more on the sidewalls, and much softer on the corners. The higher settings are fine in mild weather in CDN, on hotter roads in the states, I'd let them down to 45-50F-50-55R sometimes. (I carry a small 12volt compressor) I get better gas mileage with the right setting.... After lots of miles all tires it seems start coming apart inside and maybe even a few bulges show after getting driven over the back roads I travel. Having uneven tires are much more important on a syncro than a 2wd... I was going to call germansupply and see if they could match or better a quote I was given elsewhere... I'm north of Toronto.... thanks guys... later RR

>>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:35:30 -0800 From: Matthias Kuster <matthiaskuster@VERIZON.NET> Subject: Re: Nexen tires

I think I put these tires on my 84 Westy in Nov. I have been converting it and only driven it for maybe 200 miles. I cannot find the invoice on the tires but will check on the car when I get a chance. I know they are 8 ply D-rated Nexens 185R14s, cost $60each installed, mounted and balanced.. These are also (or maybe originally designed) for trailers. They are very firm and stiff and need to be inflated to like 50psi. They feel hard and will not make your Vanagon more cush to ride in, but are very responsive and safe since they are 8 ply, their sidewalls won't flex much. I myself like having a bit of a harder feel. I have had D-rated 185R14s on my 84 Wolfy for over 21/2 years (daily driver) and have been very happy. Those were Kumhos however, got them from the same shop I got the Nexens from. Kumhos weren't available anymore so they got me the Nexens, 2 days lead time from ordering. You are more likely to find them at an independent, smaller dealer, tough to get thru Tirerack or Costco etc. I will double check however on the exact tires I have on it and let you know. They also are pretty skinny looking on the Vanagon.

Cheers

Matthias

>>Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 09:23:25 -0800 From: courtney hook <courtneyhook@SHAW.CA> Subject: Re: Nexen tires

Robert I had a set of these on my 78 Westy when I first got it, and they had delaminated so I tossed them. They are also sold as Hercules, Jupiter, Les Schwab, WooSung, and Merit SV820 and have recieved reviews at roadhaus.com under these various names. They seem to be well recieved, and from what I remember of mine, although lumpy because of the delamination, (vehicle sat for a long time, they probably were dry rotted), they were stiff and quiet and handled well. Get the Load range D 195's for a little extra carrying capacity! Are you getting these from Scott Lyons over at germansupply?? Regards, Courtney (on Vancouver Island)

_________________________________________________________________ Buy what you want when you want it on Sympatico / MSN Shopping http://shopping.sympatico.msn.ca/content/shp/?ctId=2,ptnrid=176,ptnrdata=081805