Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:29:01 -0500
From:         Geza Polony <gezapolony@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moral question

This is kind of my sentiment on the whole issue. You're paying for expertise, not time. The neighbor's kid has time. So does his dog. So if he doesn't diagnose and fix the problem, he shouldn't get paid. However, in real life it doesn't always work like that.

HVAC people and other tradesmen will put a lien on your building if they don't get paid. You can argue the fine points in court if you want, but you're paying your lawyer $350 per hour to do it. Judges don't know anything about HVAC, so then you've got to get your expert witness in as well. All said and done, you might as well just pay the bill. Or you can pay it when you sell the building, out of escrow. The tradesmen, incompetent as they may be, get their money.

Car are different since you can't place a lien on them. But what about the case of the smaller community where there's only one Saab (or Vanagon) mechanic in town, and you don't know nothing about cars? Do you really want to alienate that guy by refusing to pay his bill?

You know, I have the feeling that more and more, people are climbing over each other for money. The mechanic can't just give away free time because in reality, despite what seems like a high labor rate, he's just barely squeezing by too, after he pays all his business and personal expenses. Even at $90 an hour no one's getting rich, at least not in the Bay Area. Conversely, the person who has to shell out for work poorly done is irate because he has to pay mortgage, health insurance, and all the rest of it, and where does the money come from? Maybe what we're talking about is really more of an economic or better, macroeconomic, issue, than it is a moral one.

I'm reminded of an anthropology book called "The Mountain People," in which a British scientist named Colin Turnbull goes to East Africa to live with a tribe that has been cut off from its traditional means of subsistence (by the creation of the Kenyan game reserve in the 1970s.) These people, reduced to eating the bark off trees, become depraved and lose all the morality they presumably once had. That's my feeling about these money issues: in a world of plenty, they would not arise, or would not be so severe. Those of us who have reached a certain age remember when things were more plentiful. Now we spend too much on health insurance and the destruction of innocent countries. The feeling of deprivation, of living close to the bone, makes technicians charge for work poorly done and customers clamor for refunds not really due them. That's the origin of the "game" you're talking about.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.