Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:59:19 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moral question
Comments: To: Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>

Joy,

I have done that with my pots. At a show at different times, someone will want a pot, don't have enough cash, don't have their checkbook, etc. I have told them go ahead, take it with you - here's my card - mail me a check. So far I have never been ripped off. I did a national mail order thing once on some mugs. Sold over ten thousand, all by check or money order - no credit cards. In all that number, I had one check to bounce that I never collected on. I wrote it off. Most folks are pretty honest. But you do what you can to protect yourself. You just have to decide just how far down you are willing to lower your guard!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver.

Joy Hecht wrote: > Oh the other hand, I had to buy a piece of carpet recently. Small piece, a > remnant from the perspective of the store. It cost $35, and for that amount > they didn't want a credit card. I didn't have enough cash, nor did I have a > check on me. The guy said "that's okay, take the carpet, you come back with > the money another day." > > I was so amazed that I went straight to the bank and got it and went back > and paid him! And I'm sure I'd go back there, too. > > Not that he would have done that for a large sum, I'm sure! > > And Frank's radio lady was clearly totally wrong. > > > Joy > > > :::-----Original Message----- > :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf > :::Of Benny boy > :::Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 12:22 PM > :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > :::Subject: Re: Moral question--no Bob-related content > ::: > :::First, Frank, NEVER take check! overall, somes customers... still owe > :::me... > :::over 2500$, when i started i didn't have a "credit card machine". > :::"I'll comme back next week Ben, hve no worry" > :::Pffffffffffff..... (and we are not talking about customers who kept tools > :::forgotten in their van!) > ::: > :::Customers are as bad as mechanic, period. So, everyone is bad! it's a sad > :::world :-) > ::: > :::As for the question, simple, for me, i work on 1 vehicle, easy, i find > :::every > :::single problem, period. This is the difference between a "General" > :::mechanic > :::who works on every kind of car. Now, of course there is some more > :::dificult > :::problem, being in general electronic/FI/electic problem. Now, that said, > :::i > :::still didn't answer your question... it is is call "communication" bro! > ::: > :::If i see a strange problem, lets say for the sake of the discussion that > :::i'm > :::not sure to fix it, i will SPEAK, yes, SPEAK with the customer and tell > :::him > :::that first, it could take many hours and i may NOT find the problem... > :::so, > :::are you still willing to PAY every single hour that i will spend on your > :::van > :::trying to fix it? DO YOU AGREE TO THAT SIR!!!! > :::IF NOT, i will work on SOMETHING else, to make money so i can PAY the > :::bill!!!!!! > ::: > :::Another story (men, it'soooo cold in the shop that i cannot work, even > :::typing is dificult - -26C outside), the guy come in the shop, he as 2 > :::electrical problems, strange one, i'm busy, but he on it's way east and > :::as 2 > :::young children, i make room in the shop, he goes away, he comme back a > :::few > :::hours later, the dash is all appart, i still didn't find the first > :::problem, > :::he is impatient, it's 7pm, i'm hungry but keep on working, i tell him to > :::go > :::away again and call me later... at 10pm, i have fix and found the "Short" > :::that cause the 2 problem, of course it was not a "Stock wiring" problem > :::but > :::something that was done by a PO.... but i have to put everything back > :::togeher, it's now 11pm, i'm done, he come back and tell me it took too > :::many hours.... can i arrange something... lower the # of hours a bit... > ::: > :::My answer was simple, if you don't pay me i will burn your van you stupid > :::imbecile! i have spent all night working, i moved other people for you, i > :::didn't eat, i'm tired... > ::: > :::I have learn something, i'm very helpfull and nice with.... nice and > :::understanding folks... the rest, well, they will pay big money! learn to > :::behave in life. > ::: > :::AND DON'T TELL ME that some of you would never do so... you are also > :::customers, nd when it's time to pay you are transforming into somekind of > :::monster. I understand that there is "crooked" mechanic... there is also > :::dedicated and honest one... Me, a have lost TOO many hours working for > :::almost nothing, i was sometime afraid to tell the customer the true hours > :::it > :::took me to fix and find problemes tinking it took me too long from lack > :::of > :::experience... but i was wrong, today, it take me about the same ammount > :::of > :::hours for the same problem... AND I DON'T charge more hours than the real > :::#. > ::: > :::So that said, communication is the conclusion, and / or if you really > :::think > :::you canot fix the problem, be humble and don't do it... else i WANNA be > :::paid > :::for the time i work on your van.... i a'm tired of customers putting > :::slowly > :::20$ after 20$ on the desk after a job and they look into my eyes like > :::they > :::think i will say stop, it's enough... don't give me the total... keep > :::some > :::for you... > ::: > :::A mechanic point of view > :::Ben > ::: > ::: > :::-------------------------------------------------------------- > :::Frank, > ::: > :::Obviously the lady with the radio in the rain was out of line and I am > :::sure > :::there are many, many demanding, unfair and obnoxious customers in the > :::world, > :::though not here on the list, of course! The question, however, was, "If > :::the > :::mechanic doesn't fix the problem, or even diagnose the problem, should > :::the > :::customer have to pay for time that yielded nothing?" > ::: > :::Woody > > >