Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:09:49 -0800
From:         Pensioner <al_knoll@PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Moral question

Hammers and chalk. Paid to have the fault fixed. Fault was fixed. You owe the contract price whether he put a chalk mark on the critter or tapped it with a deadblow hammer. Regardless, it is fixed and if you agreed to a open contract then the fault is yours.

The real question is not whether the fettler (feller who fixes stuff) should be paid his price because he FIXED the problem. Of course he should. The real question is whether he should be paid a 'consulting' fee when he DIDN'T FIX the problem

As a consumer I employ various tradesmen, mechanics, professionals, and 'automotive technicians'. The followiing applies to all of these folks. I pay them to fix a problem, if the analysis of the problem requires troubleshooting and time to FIX the problem, I have no cause to question the bill. If the problem is not FIXED I feel I do not owe the shop for it's time spent 'looking at it'. I pay for results not 'action'. I expect results not mere 'action'. The wise shop will so state that if they don't meet the contract requirements to repair the problem then the contract is unfulfilled until the problem is fixed.

You wouldn't pay the Almaguer brothers to drive by and look at your lawn, you pay them to mow the grass. If the grass is mowed by magic, so be it. If mowed by lawnmower so be it. If it remains unmowed no fee is due. Didn't meet the requirements of the contract to 'mow the lawn'.

A professional should be able to estimate the time required to analyze the problem because he is a trained and knowledgeable professional. His expense to learn to troubleshoot the particular problem is adding value to his business and is at his expense rate (far below flat rate) If he knows nothing about the system on which he is working then he is learning and enhancing his value as a service provider.

You didn't pay him flat rate to LEARN on your van, you paid him to FIX your van. Ask relevant questions in advance. Make sure you both agree on the price estimate and that you as the contract participant have a written, signed estimate before you leave the premises. Here in CaliFUNia that is a requirement. In Washington state, if a signed written estimate is not provided in advance there is no contract for the work and you may argue that it is not your responsibility to pay. Peruse Washington State site for details.

In the end, hire those you trust. The less than trustworthy business will wither and die of their own accord. Lookem up on Angies list. Agree on the contract requirements and read every line before signing. The honorable business will not be offended. The dishonorable business will give itself away by obstruction. Take all the used parts with you. If something was replaced you should have the replaced item. This is where Sears and Sawbuck got in trouble some years back.

Almaguer Bros are fast, efficient, likeable, and mow like the devil is after them. Stephan's Autohaus, Transaxle Engineering, Jeff Schwaia's shop, and Mastercraft Motors and Infinite Fabrications also pass muster as excellent shops. There is a welder here in Sacramento with whom I have an 'open account' Arturo is a magician with a torch or an arc. He's fair, honest and still in business after some layers. AVP, Leonard and Erin, also are still here doing business.

The restaurant is only as good as the last meal you ate there.