Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:45:32 -0400
From:         Doug Fitz-Randolph <fitzr@SUSCOM-MAINE.NET>
Subject:      Subject: Warning! Do not use... (Stainless Exhaust Fasteners)

I'd like to relate my contrary experience.

First of all, I've heard of other reasons not to use SS fasteners... that they may accelerate corrosion in the materials they contact, that they may not meet hardness/strength stardards required i.e. 10.9, 12.9... and I'm sure there are may others, but...

When I first replaced parts of my exhaust system 7 years ago, every single fastener was corroded to an unrecognizable nub. Even with vise-grips, sawz-all, oxy-acetylene torch, and various other implements of doom, I ended up spending the better part of a day writhing and cursing in the dirt. I vowed never again to suffer the same fate. I went right to the hardware store, picked up a set of SAE stainless nuts & bolts and reinstalled the exhaust.

A few years later when it was time for exhaust replacement chapter two (this is Maine, so if your exhaust lasts more than two years fortune has smiled upon you), I was able to remove every single fastener without issue. They were definitely tight and made an absolutely horrid squealing sound when they were undone, however I was able to accomplish the task in a fraction of the time required previously, with nothing more than a couple of wrenches. No powertools, no expletives, nothing catching on fire. I know - where's the fun in that? :)

Anyhow, based solely on my personal experience, I'd be one to recommend stainless fasteners for the exhaust. As always, feel free to discount my story and do as you please!

Cheers, Doug Fitz-Randolph Freeport, ME