Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:33:46 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Warning! Do not use... (Stainless Exhaust Fasteners)

There are a number of grades of Stainless fastners. 316 and 18-8 are probably the most common. 18-8 is slightly more corrosion resistant and just slightly stronger, (85,000 psi tensile strength) The real trick is to use a nickel based anti seize when assembling. Stainless does stretch and the threads will deform while tightening. Especially Nuts. Remember that with a threaded connection with nuts, 90% of the load is carried by the first three threads. While tightening, un lubricated stainless to stainless, the thread will gall, pick up and twist over making non reversable barb, never to un thread again. If you beak a bolt or stud inside a head, stainless can be a real bear to drill out. Again, never seize or lock-tite are your best friends during installation. Yes, loctite. Lubricant upon assembly, permanent sealer after. A bit of heat make it a lubricant for disassembly.

For those copper plated OEM style exhaust nuts, worthless. The copper does not last that long. The only good feature is the locking action especially for those longer bolts such as the swivel flanges.

For plated real hardware that lasts, Lawson Perma-Plate is probably the best out there. There high strenght washers are impressive.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Gary McEachern Date: Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:06 am Subject: Re: Warning! Do not use... (Stainless Exhaust Fasteners) To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM