Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2007 12:38:42 -0700
From:         Maggie Dew <wildebus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mouse stuff (not so funny)

Just as important as wearing gloves for cleanup of areas infested by mice is wearing a mask as a filter in case dust in these areas gets stirred up. Exposure comes from the inhalation of the virus.

Maggie

Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 10:19:57 -0700 From: don spence <dkspence@TELUS.NET> Subject: Re: Mouse stuff (not so funny)

An excerpt from

http://www.doh.wa.gov/ehsphl/factsheet/hanta.htm

Clean up of rodent infested areas:

Wear rubber, latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves. Do not stir up dust by vacuuming, sweeping, or any other means. Thoroughly wet contaminated areas including trapped mice, droppings, =20 nests with a bleach solution or household disinfectant. Hypochlorite =20 (bleach) solution: Mix 1 and =BD cups of household bleach in 1 gallon =20=

of water. Once everything is soaked for 10 minutes, remove all of the nest =20 material, mice or droppings with damp towel and then mop or sponge =20 the area with bleach solution or household disinfectant. Spray dead rodents with disinfectant and then double-bag along with =20 all cleaning materials. Bury, burn, or throw out rodent in =20 appropriate waste disposal system. Disinfect gloves with disinfectant or soap and water before taking =20 them off. After taking off the clean gloves, thoroughly wash hands with soap =20 and water (or use a waterless alcohol-based hand rub when soap is not =20=

available).