Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:20:47 -0800
From:         Courtney Hook <courtneyhook@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: [T2] Why is my 77 Westy running so cool???
Comments: To: rodewarrior@comcast.net

And I agree with you. I have been thinking about that, it's gotta be protected from the wind. I'm also going to put it up on blocks and see what it's up to after a good ride as well. It was expanding nicely when I first put it in. Courtney

----- Original Message ----- From: rodewarrior@comcast.net To: Courtney Hook ; vanagon ; type2 list ; wetwesties Sent: Thursday, January 18, 2007 7:00 PM Subject: Re: [T2] Why is my 77 Westy running so cool???

I picked up a cover from a shop this week and the guy that I got it from mentioned that I didn't actually need it, I can't see how the thermostat could get any heat around it without it, I will be using the sheet metal when my new thermostat arrives this coming week.

Its like blowing on anything, if you have wind passing over it the heated air around it will get replaced with cold and the cold air will keep sucking the heat out of the thermostat.

I have no proof in this particular case and I have never tested it but I can fall back on the fact that VW designed the thermostat to be behind the cover.

James in Portland, OR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Courtney Hook <courtneyhook@shaw.ca>