Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:47:19 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Heater Control Question
Comments: To: Allen Hill <route66rider@KNOLOGY.NET>

You're in luck, I just did this job yesterday (or close enough for practical purposes).

First, figure out which lever it is. If it's the usual suspect, yes, it goes to the valve below.

You don't have to do too much to get a look at it. First thing I'd do is remove the faceplace over the lever mechanism. Start by pulling the fan switch know straight out and lay it aside. With a pair of curved longnose pliers, grab each lever by the shaft (don't hook the "handle," you'll likely pull it off) and pull the shaft partway off of the lever. Don't try to pull all the way out until you get the faceplate loosened. Take a knife with a wide blade and work it in between the faceplate and the dash, wiggling gently to pry the face loose. There are two press fit pins that hold the faceplate in, those are located in the lower left and upper right corners of the faceplate. Once the faceplate is loosened, used the pliers to fully remove the handles top to bottom (or reverse, just remember which) and arrange them in order across the dash. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of time trying to get them to not interfere with each other on reassembly.

Now you can see the problem, but you can't do anything about it, if it's the heater control cable, until you remove the clamp at the left, but you have to pull the instrument panel out (five minutes, email me if you want those steps) to get a wrench on the 7mm screw that clamps the cable.

Once this is done, a pair of longnose pliers will reach in and turn the dogleg on the end of the wire out of the lever (the second one from the top).

Now comes the time to assess your problem. Why is the wire bending, where is the resistance coming from?

Jack up one side of the front so you can get under the car. Remove the spare so the carrier hangs down. Get something to use for a pillow and a flashlight. You can reach up in there next to the shifter box no problem, and you can get the wire off and back on with some trouble, but it may be easier if you remove the glove box and remove the end of the hose that holds the heater valve in place. This just takes a few minutes (pop out the glove box and then pull off the heater vent cover for full access, then you'll see everything that's going on and where it goes). I can send pictures if you need them. You'll lose less than a cup of coolant,. What you have to do is go underneath and loosen a lower connection on the lower hose out of the valve. Then the lost coolant will spill outside the car, not inside it. Now go back into the glove box opening and withdraw the hose. Make sure you get the right one, it's the hardest of the two to get to but no big deal.

This last step previously described, lowering the heater valve assembly, is only really necessary for your convenience if the clip for the other end of the cable is stuck, or if you find upon removal of the lower cable end that you actually have to replace the heater valve. If you wiggle the valve lever and find it is good shape and not binding internally in the valve, then it's the way the cable is formed, or bent, or crudded up, or as in my case the cable mounting bracket on the heater valve assembly had bent under pressure from being wrongly aligned and had cause the cable to bind.

Fix your problem down at the heater valve, and you'll have no problems up at the dash levers.

Let me save you another bucket of trouble: the upper end of the cable should be positioned flush with the right hand edge of its bracket when the clamp is refastened. Otherwise, you'll never get all the heat you could be getting, or else you'll never get completely cool air in the summer. And don't tighten the 7mm clamping screw any more than ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Doing so can crush the cable housing, then you'll have to replace it for sure.

It helps, while you are in there and are handy with multiple pairs of pliers, to tidy up the bends in the cable end doglegs. The better- formed they are, the more foolproof your fix will be.

And if you do need to replace the cable, it's trivial once you're in the middle of the above process. It took me one hour and fifteen minutes, start to finish. Be prepared for a lot of climbing around, but there's nothing particularly difficult except dealing with the heater valve up in the recesses of its mounting spot.

Johnson's has the valve and the cable, the dealer would probably have to order them.

Jim