Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:09:37 +0000
From:         Dave Vickery <davevickery@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions Please
Comments: To: jamie@KOOKYMATHTEACHER.COM

Hi Jamie, I replaced my engine with a BB rebuild with the same thinking. Compression getting slower worse at about 180K miles. Ran awesome. No power issues. No head leaks. So I was thinking, if I am going to do it, do it right, get the more respected rebuillder, go with the Big Valve upgrade for more power, replace any other part recommended to go along with a rebuild, injectors, motor mounts, hose kit, whatever.

I spent a forture, still had lots of problems with a very respected and expensive installer getting it to run right. 6 months into it, I was still doing troubleshooting and throwing other parts at it on my own. Turned out the engine was fine, just all the attached parts were old and the engine was new and I had a bitch of a time getting it to run as good as it did before. And I spent a forture, and I was stuck dealing with the issues after the mechanics said, I dunno.

I have also replaced a honda engine and a subaru engine in the past.

My regret is that people give shitty advice (but not me) and you have to be cautious with the go the best route and marketing hype. Also they tend to be anal here on this list. If I had to do it over, I would have maybe done the top end of my motor and probably would have waited til the power was a problem or it wasn't running good. I understand the bottom end of a boxer engine is pretty solid and seldom gives problems. I also will never send away for an engine again. My shop would have torn my engine down and done whatever it needed and put it all back together for a lot less $, less hassles and they would have troubleshot anything that came up. Granted it wouldn't have been brand new, but what a hassle that was.

The subaru engine switch worked out good-a known good used engine. And it is in my syncro which is even better. But the issue on the first subaru engine was disintegrating rod bearings so it was a simple choice.

I woudl take it to the shop you trust, and have them determine what the best thing to do is. Probably wind up doing the top end and driving it 75K miles and selling the van or something. A used engine that you can trust the seller or check out before it is removed from a van is another good choice. If you go with a rebuilt engine assuming you don't like those other options, I think you need to find a trusted local shop, find out who they get their engines from, make a decision whether those are good engines and find out if the shop putting it in will warrantee it and all the work that may come of it, and have them do it. If BB had shops that would stand behind his engines as if they built them themselves and everything was covered and they guarranteed to get it working awesome for whatever price they quoted, that would maybe be a good option. But I trust my local shop and would do it differently in the future and it would cost me less.

BTW, the big valve upgrade was a disappointment. It probably did have more power, but not anything I noticed on a big heavy non-aerodynamic van. And the turnaround time was terrible.

Conversions are justified if you want more power, not reliability. The engine might be more reliable but the conversion and related things will have you tinkering on it every weekend (really) and I wonder now whether I like working on my van more than going places. The power is awesome so I would say that is the only reason to do it. The TDI is probably in a class by itself and if money is no object, that may a good way to go, but I wouldn't. The Tiico I hear is a dissapointment (from people who know and have had them and other conversions) and you don't want to go there.

Keep it simple, fix your engine and enjoy it. Good luck.

Dave in Denver

_________________________________________________________________ Valentine’s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping http://shopping.msn.com/content/shp/?ctId=8323,ptnrid=37,ptnrdata=24095&tcode=wlmtagline