Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:01:12 -0500
From:         Jamie Auch <jamie@KOOKYMATHTEACHER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Opinions Please
Comments: To: John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>

Thanks for all your input.

The Westy has 104,000 miles/

Jamie

-----Original Message----- From: John Rodgers [mailto:inua@CHARTER.NET] Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:47 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Opinions Please

I read that as 104,000 miles - but I agree, at 140,000 plus, I would go for the rebuild or engine upgrade without hesitation.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Bob Donalds wrote: > John > he did mention that the milage was in the 140k range and I recomend > doing the engine not the heads Bob > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "John Rodgers" <inua@CHARTER.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:02 PM > Subject: Re: Opinions Please > > > >> You may have some relatively minor problems. Before going the rebuild >> route, do a leak down test. That will tell you a lot. If it looks >> like you may have to do anything besides heads, then go for the >> complete rebuild. >> >> If you decide to go for and engine upgrade, I would think Suburu. I >> think gas is going to go nuts again this summer. If thats becomes the >> case, you will want an engine that gives better gas mileage than a >> WBX, and the Suburu engines will do that. >> >> If you go for a rebuilt WBX, Boston Bobs is the best way to go. >> >> Keep in mind if you rebuild and engine, it will be nut and all the >> acessories will be worn and old. They will fail and cause lots of >> problems long before the engine itself begins to be use up. Something >> to think about. >> >> In the aviation world, a remanufactured engine gets all newly >> remanufactored accessories as well, for obvious reasons. >> >> Regards, >> >> John Rodgers >> 88 GL Driver >> >> Jamie Auch wrote: >> >>> I have owned my '89 automatic Westy for about two months now and I >>> just >>> > lost compression on #4 (it's down to 50 lb). I have fallen > >>> in love with camping in it and want to make it as reliable as I >>> possibly >>> > can. > >>> Here are my options: >>> 1) Replace the heads but bottom end is unknown (ran like a top >>> before >>> > losing compression). > >>> 2) I have a 1.9 TD that was to go into my '82 Diesel, but I am >>> concerned >>> > with the gearing. (the torque and hp are similar to the WB > >>> 3) Get a Boston Bob rebuild. The way I look at it why not get an >>> engine >>> > redone totally. (this is not to be a Boston Bob Bash, I > >>> have read all the posts in different forums and list serves). >>> 4) Do a Tiico conversion. >>> >>> >From the list experience what do you think of these options? >>> >>> Thanks, >>> Jamie Auch >>> The Kooky Math Teacher >>> "missing my westy" >>> >>> >>> >>> > > > >