Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:07:08 -0800
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Driving with LP gas on

Reminds me of the time when my 84 Westy was up on the rack at the local gas station in the tiny town of Joseph Oregon. There was a problem with tire vibration and the kid who worked there proceeded to lift the van on the rack, but sorta missed getting one of the pads lined up (the one closest to the LP tank) and it slipped! I thought the van was going to crash down, but it stopped falling when the pad made contact with the underside of the floor. It also made contact with the LP lines coming out of the regulator. The fridge was running and the gas valve was open all the way! I heard the hissing and jumped for the valve to shut it off. Luckily nothing caught fire. It could have taken out the whole shop as well as my beloved camper. Scared the livin' you-know-what out of me!!!

Moral of the story: shut off the LP before doing any mechanical work. And I would go as far as bleeding down the residual gas in the lines, too. Just light the stove until it flames out. You will be amazed at how much fuel is left in the lines. It's enough to melt down a porta-potti that was sitting in front of a catalytic heater. The LP valve was off and the thermostat was all the way down, but it was cold enough to trigger the thermo and fire up the heater just long enough for the meltdown.

Keith O