Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2007 06:26:46 -0800
From:         Evan Mac Donald <macdonald1987@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: engine ground strap

Yes, those of use in the "corrosion belt" need to do things a little differently! When I replaced my engine-to-body grounds, I also used a shielded cable, factory swedged at both ends. But, to make up for the lack of flexibility, I used a longer one, and mounted the strap with a curve in it, to allow engine motion, without stressing the ends at all. A slightly longer strap would allow a loop to be placed in it, and also relieve any stress on the ends. There are lots of ways around the lack of flexibility issue!

Here in New England, year round driving will destroy the braided straps very quickly. I use the shielded straps. One from the drivers head to the ground location just under the coil. And another one from top bolt that adjusts the alt. to the rear valance, there are numerous stock locations to connect. I buy longer lenghts and zip tie them to other looms in the general area. Grounding has never been an issue with engines that I have done this too.

works for me.

dylan

----- Original Message ---- From: Mike S To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 8:16:22 AM Subject: Re: engine ground strap

At 08:22 PM 1/20/2007, Jonathan Chasteen wrote... >replacing the ground strap from engine to body. which is better? >braided strap like OE? or cable type insulated? i got a 4ga cable type >and a 4ga braided type wondering which one would be better. the >braided is much larger but not shielded from corrosion like the cable >type

Use the braid, it's much more flexible. A cable is more likely to fail near the attachment points from flexing. The cables are meant to be used either where insulation is required (carries +12V) or where there is no relative movement between the parts. I've never seen a braid corrode in the middle (it happens near the ends, where the connectors are swaged on). If it's a concern for you, maybe spray it with clear lacquer, but I'd just install it as is.