Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2007 16:00:00 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Opinions Please
Comments: To: Jamie Auch <jamie@KOOKYMATHTEACHER.COM>

Jamie, send me a picture of your engine, top, close shot. I wanna see the condition of parts around the engine (like someone stated, you need to be sure that the rest is in good condition,cooling tube, FI....), as for your problem, who cares about a leak-down test! you have a compression issu and the engine need to be open anyway. It's the head or a piston/ring of course, so money will have to be invested anyway (i have good 2.1 used pistons in the shop if you need some!). Yes, the short bloc/core is strong and i have seen some with more than 250K miles and still going strong, so, money wise you may only need heads, the pistons and sleeve are also pretty solid, the main problem with those are top compression rings that break in 2! but those generaly stay in place even when broken. I have open 8 core lately, including mine (you will see pictures later in a post called: Tornado red engine), i have measure all bottom end parts of all those 8 engines (crank, rods and cam, wear on bearing... ) and all where way into the wear out limit (i mean still good if my English is not right!), on 8 open case, only one was showing number in the wear-out limit! you all think what ever you want about my study but it's simple fact, alll heads except one had crack (some just a small one but!), 3 pistons had broken top rings, only one engine had cooked pistons, of course it's the one with the wear out bottom end. So before you put a ton of money in a conversion or a full rebuilt... have that engine open and find the culprit! I would not be surprise that you only have a burned EX valve AND SEAT!, if no crack, repair this one or buy 2 new AMC head (better buy them from B.Bob with german valves). If you have time, drop the engine with some friend, i'm going south (if my Red Tornado van is finish...) in a month or so and i would be glad to stop by and give you a hand for a a day or 2 :-) (and see your new house)

I do feel that those engine are at least good for 1 top end before they are due for a full rebuilt or a conversion!

Best regards, Ben

------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have owned my '89 automatic Westy for about two months now and I just lost compression on #4 (it's down to 50 lb). I have fallen in love with camping in it and want to make it as reliable as I possibly can.

Here are my options: 1) Replace the heads but bottom end is unknown (ran like a top before losing compression). 2) I have a 1.9 TD that was to go into my '82 Diesel, but I am concerned with the gearing. (the torque and hp are similar to the WB 3) Get a Boston Bob rebuild. The way I look at it why not get an engine redone totally. (this is not to be a Boston Bob Bash, I have read all the posts in different forums and list serves). 4) Do a Tiico conversion.

From the list experience what do you think of these options?

Thanks, Jamie Auch The Kooky Math Teacher "missing my westy"