Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:21:26 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Opinions Please
Comments: To: Mike <mbucchino@CHARTER.NET>

Compression and leak down tests really should be done as part of predictive maintenance. When the spark plugs are out for replacement, do the tests. What are we talking time wise? Another 1/2 hour. I have also learned about the value of oil analysis. It's about the same cost as 1/2 tank of fuel. A good tech should know how to maximize the engine investment. Not just troubleshoot when a problem is detected or suspected. The engine really is just an air pump. The goal should really be going for the lowest cost/mile while still maintaining reliability. Owner education is the difficult part.

Dennis