Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Jan 2007 21:26:06 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Families - what do they know?
Comments: To: joel walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>

My family loves my Vanagons. My wife drives the 90 often (nobody drives the diesel but me, they are afraid of the five speeds and the glow plug starting procedure). My daughter and her husband and kids and my wife love to camp in the westy. My brother keeps asking questions when he comes here from texas about where he can get one. My 84-year-old mother, who I drove to New York and back in it, comments on what a great car it is and what good shape it is in every time she is in it, which is fairly often.

My brother-in-law loves it because I have moved his kid from Brooklyn to NY with it, and it has been involved in every family move since 1990. It's been to numerous out-of-the-way places full of people and luggage. Another brother-in-law has taken it to Ohio several times.

Back when I was in the trade show exhibit designing and building business, it took part of Motorola's exhibit to trade shows as close as Atlanta and as far away as Las Vegas. It also hauled exhibitry for many other US and European customers (so it's a piece of technology history).

Everybody in my extended family has benefited from my Vanagons and they thank me for it often. They always ask about my cars when I see them and keep up with upgrades and goings-on. Some of them, traveling with me, have met other listees when I've stopped to pick up parts on my journeys. Many of the younger ones have grown up with my Vanagon and have never known me to drive anything else. Actually, they are not so young anymore.

My parents were friends with the original owner of my 83 westy, and in fact the original owner and his wife were at my parents' house playing cards the night their house burned, and they lived in the westy in their driveway as it was being rebuilt. One of my best friends acquired it from that family, unbeknownst to me, and then died on assignment in China, which led to me ending up with the car.

And then there's the general public who seem enthralled. It might be a middle-schooler giving me a peace sign or the middle-aged woman pulling up next to me in the drug store parking lot and asking me "what year?? which, as my granddaughter know by now, signals at least 30 minutes of VW bus-related conversation to follow.

Vanagons are totally ingrained in our family history, the way that splitties and loafs were a generation ago.

We all love 'em.

Jim