Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:49:06 -0800
From:         Zoltan <zolo@FOXINTERNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Meltdown temp? ...Max Cuising Speed for AC
Comments: To: "Burdett, Jean-Pierre" <jp.burdett@SPOTWAVE.COM>

I cruised cross country many times with 75mph or more, without any problem. And those were old Vanagons without reconditioned engines, most all 2.1 engines. Zoltan ----- Original Message ----- From: "Burdett, Jean-Pierre" <jp.burdett@SPOTWAVE.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 1:28 PM Subject: Re: Meltdown temp? ...Max Cuising Speed for AC

Along similar lines...regarding the temp -

I've been hesitant to drive mine faster than 105Kmh (65mph) ...but my wife asks me if we could go a little faster! Hmmmm

Yes.. back to the Bus - Therfore...If everything is running cool, say 300-350 then would it be OK to cruise at 110kmh (68mph)? - assuming road is basically flat. What about 115 kmh?(70mph) Or would I be shortening the life span seriously / risk of over reving etc?

Does it all depend of the HP the engine is making and how well it's running? I have oil cooler on it

Thanks for your help gang

JP Burdett | Product Marketing Manager Spotwave Wireless Inc.

Tel: 613.591.1662 Ext.297 | Fax: 613.591.8107 | Mobile: 613.294.8942 1 Hines Road. Suite 204 Ottawa ON. CANADA | K2K 3C7 jp.burdett@spotwave.com | www.spotwave.com

Hi Nathan,

I'd say that extended running above 450 is to be avoided. Get off the gas ASAP and it'll drop back to 450 or less and you'll be OK.

Running past 550 is going to reduce the life of the engine.

The valve seats often don't drop at high temp... they drop when the engine cools down and the seats shrink. When my bus dropped the valve on the way to JBB it ran fine all the way from Scarborough to Fort Erie, but when I restarted it after our breakfast stop at the Duty Free I knew immediately that the seat was FUBAR. I had not passed 425 at any time that day.

There are lots of variations on this theme. As they say: Your Milage May Vary.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca

On 24-Jan-07, at 2:07 PM, Nathaniel Poole wrote:

> With all the issues of popping valve seats on the AC engines, does > anyone have an idea what is the redline temperature when this is > likely to occur? > > Nathaniel

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.410 / Virus Database: 268.17.8/649 - Release Date: 2007.01.23.