Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2007 18:47:06 -0500
From:         Greg Potts <greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: For Aircooled crowd only...Revs to MPH + crusing spd
Comments: To: Nathaniel Poole <npoole@TELUS.NET>

Hi Nathan,

VW had a warranty program in place during the aircooled era. If a gauge had been a cost-effective method to prevent engine failure then I am certain the German engineers at the factory would have added it.

The factory didn't install gauges because when the bus was new it didn't need them. There are two reasons for that:

1. People were more willing to slow down. A lot of new cars weren't very powerful back then. 200HP+ in a sedan was the exception, not the rule back in those days. People didn't change cars as often, either; which means that more than half the vehicles on the road were older and slower than the bus. Traffic was kinder and gentler, in other words.

2. Fuel has changed. There are additives in gasoline and refining practices that make it quite different from what it used to be. None of the major oil companies will admit that their fuel is any different, but the empirical evidence speaks for itself, and I have heard of "off-the-record" conversations with chemists that bear this out.

Driving inside the performance envelope of a vehicle makes good sense to me. Don't overload it, and don't exceed the recommended speed limit in the manual. But I don't think that arbitrarily reducing the performance envelope will extend its lifespan. (Other than consumable items like tires and brakes).

Maintain the vehicle according to the proper schedule and it will deliver the specified performance. That's what it was built for.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts 1973/74/77/79 Westfakia "Bob The Tomato www.pottsfamily.ca