Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Jan 2007 17:53:23 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alarm system, was Bus story - using a gun???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Stevens" <mtbiker62@HOTMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 25, 2007 4:43 PM Subject: Re: Alarm system, was Bus story - using a gun???

> "if you feel that your life is in danger" > > and I get to decide that but not the legal outcome of my deciding that. > > Bob Stevens > '87 Westy Syncro > "Passion Fruit"

Essentially. If you're really concerned about this, research your 'local' laws, and particularly how they are enforced - probably good advice for anybody, come to think of it, especially those in higher crime areas. Here's some basic info relating to the 'common law' view of the subject, from a study guide for what is called the 'baby bar' in California; modern statutes in most states are often based on some variation of these broad ideas. I'm not really trying to drag this thread out, but I've had some ... interesting discussions now and again concerning what people believe they can and cannot do particularly when it comes to property, so I'm just tossing this out as food for thought.

Cya, Robert

I. Principals of Exculpation

1.. Justification - The justification defense arise when society has deemed that although the defendant committed the proscribed act, she should not be punished because the circumstances justify the action.

TIP - The right to self-defense or other justification defense depends on the immediacy of the threat; a threat of future harm is not sufficient. Thus if someone threatens the defendant by saying "Tomorrow I'm going to kill you," the defendant is not justified in killing the person to "protect" himself.

TIP - It is crucial to determine the level of force that the defendant used in committing the proscribed act. As a rule of thumb, non-deadly force is justified where it appears necessary to avoid imminent injury or to retain property; deadly force is justified only to prevent death or serious bodily injury.

1. Self-Defense a. Non-deadly Force - A person without fault may use such force as reasonably appears necessary to protect herself from the imminent use of unlawful force upon herself. There is no duty to retreat.

b. Deadly Force - A person may use deadly force in self-defense if (i) she is without fault; (ii) she is confronted with "unlawful force"; and (iii) she is threatened with imminent death or great bodily harm.

TIP - If the defendant kills in self-defense but not all three of the requirements for the use of deadly force are met, some states would find the defendant guilty of manslaughter rather than murder under the "imperfect self-defense" doctrine.

i. Retreat - Generally there is no duty to retreat before using deadly force. The minority view requires retreat before using deadly force if the victim can safely do so, unless: (i) the attack occurs in the victim's home, (ii) the attack occurs while the victim is making a lawful arrest, or (iii) the assailant is in the process of robbing the victim.

c. Right of Aggressor to Use Self-Defense - If one is the aggressor in the altercation, she may use force in defense of herself only if (i) she effectively withdraws from the altercation and communicates to the other her desire to do so, or (ii) the victim of the initial aggression suddenly escalates the minor fight into a deadly altercation and the initial aggressor has no chance to withdraw.

2. Defense of Others - A defendant has the right to defend other is she reasonably believes that the person assisted has the legal right to use force in his own defense. All that is necessary is the reasonable appearance of the right to use force. Generally, there need be no special relationship between the defendant and the person in whose defense she acted.

3. Defense of a Dwelling - Non-deadly force may be used to prevent or terminate what is reasonably regarded as an unlawful entry into or attack on the defender's dwelling. Deadly force may be used only to prevent a violent entry made with the intent to commit a personal attack on an inhabitant or to prevent an entry to commit a felony in the dwelling.

TIP - As a practical matter, deadly force usually is justified in repelling a home invader but the basis for the right to use such force is not to protect the dwelling, but to protect the safety of the inhabitants of the dwelling.

4. Defense of Other Property

a. Defending Possession - Deadly force may never be used in defense of property. Non-Deadly force may be used to defend property in one's possession from unlawful interference, but may not be used if a request to desist or refrain from the activity would suffice.

b. Regaining Possession - Force cannot be used to regain possession of property wrongfully taken unless the person using force is in immediate pursuit of the taker.

5. Crime Prevention - Non-Deadly force may be used to the extent that it reasonably appears necessary to prevent a felony or serious breach of the peace. Deadly force may be used only to terminate or prevent a dangerous felony involving risk to human life.

6. Use of Force to Effectuate Arrest - Non-Deadly force may be used by police officers if it reasonably appears necessary to effectuate an arrest. Deadly force is reasonable only if it is necessary to prevent a felon's escape and the felon threatens dead or serious bodily harm.

a. Private Persons - A private person has a privilege to use non-deadly force to make an arrest if a crime was in fact committed and the private person has reasonable grounds to believe the person arrested has in fact committed the crime. A private person may use deadly force only if the person harmed was actually guilty of the offense for which the arrest was made.

7. Resisting Arrest - Non-Deadly force may be used to resist an improper arrest even if a known officer is making that arrest. Deadly force may e used, however, only if the person does not know that person arresting him is a police officer.

8. Necessity - It is a defense to a crime that the person reasonably believed that commission of the crime was necessary to avoid an imminent and greater injury to society than that involved in the crime. The test is objective; a good faith belief is not sufficient.

a. Limitation (Death) - Causing the death of another person to protect property is never justified..

b. Limitation (Fault) - The defense of necessity is not available if the defendant is at fault in creating the situation requiring that he choose between two evils.

c. Duress Distinguished - Necessity involves pressure from natural or physical forces; duress involves a human threat.

9. Public Policy - A police officer (or one assisting him) is justified in using reasonable force against another, or in taking property, provided the officer acts pursuant to a law, court order, or process requiring or authorizing him to so act.

10. Domestic Authority - The parents of a minor child, or any person "in loco parentis" with respect to that child, may lawfully use reasonable force upon the child for the purpose of promoting the child's welfare.