Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2007 18:51:50 +0000
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Spring question - help needed
Comments: To: John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>

Those were problematic when I replaced the springs on my westy 2wd with the syncro.org springs. I had to use an air impact wrench to break the nuts loose - and that is after soaking them in PB Blaster.

I have photos of the difference between the old and new bushings and the rusted metal sleve that goes inside the bushing. The design must tend to capture moisture and rust the metal bushing. I also noticed the beginnings of rust on the frame where the bushings are mounted.

regards, Todd

Also - the bushing does collapse some after you install it over time - so don't forget to double check the tightness on those nuts after you replace the bushings.

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM> > On 1/26/07, Frank Condelli <RAlanen@aol.com> wrote: > > >Vanagon Westy Suspension, Steering, Brake > > Overhaul_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/springs.htm) , showing all the gory > > details of the complete renovation and POR-15ing of my Westys suspension, > > steering and brakes. I have also put up a page, _Vanagon Ride Height Survey_ > > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/survey2.htm) , to make a survey of the ride > >height > > of Vanagons for future reference on this spring issue. > > Nice work Frank. It looks like you're in for some smooth traveling. > Did you have any trouble removing those long bolts that run through > the upper control arm bushings? I worked for hours and finally had to > saw between the bushing and frame on one of them. I did use plenty of > grease when I put them back together ;-) > Smooth sailing, > > John Meeks > > Vanagon Rescue Squad > http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm > > '91 Multivan, '85 GL > Top o' Northern Michigan > KC8ZFN