Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:07:37 +0000
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Puking Oil from Oil Cooler
Comments: To: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU>

You need to replace the o-ring between the oil cooler and the engine case. The oil may be a bit thick for the temperature, especially if you did not allow time for the oil to warm up, (recent discussion). Yes, in very cold weather, you need to drive slowly until the oil thins a bit. Most likely, the oil cooler nut loosened and/or the o-ring got hard from heat and age and the excess pressure caused it to fail. The Fram filter was not the cause.

Note that the Castro Syntec is not a "true" synthetic so it does not have the quite the same cold weather benefits as say Mobil 1. I would recommend the Mobil 1 Ow-40, European formulae for temps regularly below freezing. The 10w-30 will work for starting but may be a problem for extended high speed travel.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: Richard Golen Date: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:55 pm Subject: Puking Oil from Oil Cooler To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM