Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2007 16:28:29 -0600
From:         Sam Stone <svs3@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      cooling system improvements

Hi All,

Over the past several months I have been collecting the parts needed to replace the components of the cooling system in my '85 Westy which I have owned for a little over a year now. I figure I'm going to go ahead and replace all parts or as many as possible because I simply don't know how old they are. Some are definitely original while others are of unknown vintage. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have a list of all the necessary parts to do this? Or can anyone point me to such a link? I have brought a hose kit from Van-again which should have all the needed rubber hoses.

2) Anyone here have experience with Terry K's stainless steel coolant pipes? On his site he lists "83.5 to 85 Vanagon Replacement Stainless Steel Coolant Lines" and the "83.5 to 85 Vanagon Complete Set of Stainless Coolant Replacement Pipes". What is the difference? I have also emailed Terry this question. How do Terry's metal coolant pipes compare to the one list on the Bus Depot site (http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=251121397FPR)?

3) What is the expected life of the cooling fan? Mine seems to be working fine (i.e. it still works on both high and low speeds). Should I replace the fan as well and keep the old known good one as a back up if I am getting close to end of the expected life expectancy of the fan?

I am sure I will have other questions as I move forward on this project.

I am just trying to make sure I have all the parts I need before I start this project since this is my daily driver.

Thanks, Sam