Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:40:13 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Walmart Hospitality/Bus Story

How lovely! Can you post a photo of Carl the white Wally dog on the VW facebook?

I love dogs when they belong to other people and I don't have to pick up the poop...

Joy

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Tom Buese :::Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 5:03 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Walmart Hospitality/Bus Story ::: :::> This should be anathema to all, but WalMart is very hospitable to :::> RVers. I :::> believe there are RVers that camp at WalMart parking lots across :::> the US of A :::> and take delight in breakfasting at the on-site McDonalds in most :::> WalMarts. ::: :::This reminds moi of our only experience in camping overnite in a :::Walmart parking lot. It is for professionals only, do not try this w/ :::your vanagon unless your are prepared for the results! ::: :::We left for a vw show/swap in Sacramento 1 Labor Day weekend on a :::Friday after work, the SO & moi. Late that nite we are around :::beautiful Elko, NV looking for a place to camp overnite, & after :::little luck see a Walmart, & decide to partake & observe the Walmart :::Experience. ::: :::Pull into the lot & take up space outside the entry next to a PU w/ :::big live-in horse trailer & 6-8 really big RV's. Minding our own :::business, having a nice cup of java the next morning in our comfy :::westy, we observe the other overniters, slowly disembark from their :::rigs & mossy into Walmart for 1 thing or another. Ahhhhh, that's why :::Wally lets people camp in his lot! ::: :::Eventually, a rancher looking woman & her young daughter, come out of :::Walmart & place a no. of purchases in the horse trailer & drive over :::to the side of the lot a 100 yds. away & start staging for something :::beside their trailer. They set up some portable metal fences & start :::bringing out some sort of critters & placing them in the 2 pens they :::have made. What, do I see some small white furry creatures being :::placed in 1 pen & some much smaller undistinguishable other critters :::being placed in another pen? ::: :::Tell the SO that we should go over & check the critters out. She :::reminds moi that our latest departed dog has only been gone for a :::couple of months, is buried in the back yard not far from the other :::earlier departed dog, & she is not mentally ready for another dog. :::OK, I say, we will just look, & then have a conversation about how we :::have never been able to "just look", & she has always brought home :::the pet that instantly bonds w/ her because she has to! ::: :::Head over to visit, & observe that there are 3 Great Pyrenees puppies :::in 1 pen & 8 Border Collie/Aussy Shepard mix puppies in the other :::pen. No disrespect to the BC/AS's but our last 3 dogs were pure :::white Samoyeds & we love white dogs. Wife is intrigued about getting :::one but since we no nada about GP's, we decide to visit inside of :::Wally's & check out the literature on this beautiful breed, which we :::do know is eventually HUGE. Find the pet book section, read up on :::them & discover that they are not appropriate for our urban home, & :::decide to purchase one! Buy a leash, collar, puppy chow, bowls, dog :::bed, etc. & head out of Wally's to clinch the deal $$. A pure white :::male bonds w/ the SO, & we decide to take him w/ us to CA. Ranch :::Lady gives him a shot, we give her our money, & we load him up in the :::westy & head off in search of split window bus parts, & to sell tilts :::to the masses. ::: :::We have not dared to enjoy Wally's hospitality since, but Carl, the :::GP still travels in UT, CA, NV, AZ, etc whenever he can! ::: :::The moral of this diatribe is: Beware of the hospitality of Walmart. ::: :::Pax, ::: :::Tom B.-SO now claims she didn't want dog, & I forced Carl upon her. :::Huhhhhh? ::: :::> :::> I believe Las Vegas has the highest concentration of WalMarts in :::> the US with :::> something like 16 around the greater LV area. :::> :::> :::> On 1/26/07, Mike Miller <mwmiller@cwnet.com> wrote: :::>> :::>> If you're a bit nervous, don't know or like the feel of the town, :::>> police :::>> station parking lots work pretty well. :::>> :::>> Mike :::>> :::>> :::>> On 1/26/07 10:22 AM, "Tom Buese" <tombuese@COMCAST.NET> wrote: :::>> :::>> >> gerald: if you must overnight on the street,park near apartment :::>> >> buildings- :::>> >> MIKE :::>> > :::>> > Because VW bus owners can't afford a home & only live in Apts? LOL :::>> > :::>> > Tom B.-how about funeral home parking lots? :::>> > :::>> :::> :::> :::> :::> -- :::> mordo :::> 1990 Carat