Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2007 04:16:36 -0800
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Alarm system, was Bus story - using a gun???

I knew a guy that told me almost the same thing about Iowa, of all places. Claimed you could pop anybody you saw walking across your lower forty if they didn't have your permission- you only got in trouble if you missed. He was dead serious. I told him he might oughta look into that a little more after he moved there.

I was at my Uncle's place in AZ when this ancient buddy of his drops by, drunk as a lord and wearing a belt and holster with a six-shooter that looked older than he was- I mean he looked like he'd wandered right in from the Old West, except he was probably just a kid when he started wanderin'. Had the hat, the vest, the bandanna, the whole get-up.

His hand kept hovering near the butt of the gun, which was not strapped that I could see, and a couple of times he kind of caressed the holster. After a few minutes I told my Uncle that we were leaving. He asked why, and I told him what Yosemite Sam was doing and that I didn't feel like it was a good idea to let my two and four year olds run around and play while this old coot starting having flashbacks of his days in Tombstone. I told him if he actually grabbed the thing I was going to have to go over there and take it from him so maybe it would be better if we just split- even tho we were supposed to be there for dinner. He went over to the guy and basically said 'hey, we've got family over and were getting ready to eat, why don't you come back another time...' and the guy was cool with it. He got up, kind of swayed goodbye and stumbled out the gate and up the street. He actually seemed like a nice enough old drunk and I didn't want to put my Uncle on the spot, but I wasn't having that while my kids were there.

Apparently this was pretty much the old guy's state of existence, drunk and wearing a gun. I was told later that it was legal in AZ to carry a gun in the open in that fashion, but it wasn't legal to be drunk while you were doing it- this guy was sort of a local fixture and he'd never hurt anybody so they left him alone. Just one of those things that reminds you that you aren't in Cali anymore- people wearing gun belts, driving motorcycles without helmets and smoking in restaurants.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Mullendore" <groups@WESTYVENTURES.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 9:09 PM Subject: Re: Alarm system, was Bus story - using a gun???