Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2007 14:53:47 +0100
From:         Erik Peterson <motoerik@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Another newbie

Hello all,

I had the great fortune to "inherit" a 1983 Vanagon Westy for free about a week ago. I'm USAF stationed overseas in Italy, and we have serious restrictions about how many vehicles we're allowed to own & ship, so a guy who was going back to the US gave it to me (I only had to pay the Italian road taxes). It's not in the best condition, but I plan on using it & fixing most of the problems over the next 3 years I'm here.

I'm a fair shadetree mechanic- pretty damn good with electronic/electrical things, and intermediate-ish on the mechanical side. I have a pretty decent toolbox of common stuff, but almost no specialized stuff, and I plan on doing all of the work myself. It came with a Bentley manual, but I haven't had time to look at it too much yet.

I snapped some photos of it, you can see them at; http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m97/MotoErik/Vanagon/ The engine drips coolant around the area of both heads, you can see it in pics 004 & 005. It doesn't use oil, and the coolant doesn't go down noticeably, so I plan on driving it until the summer months (when I can commute on my motorcycle). I'm thinking that a minor external coolant drip is no big deal, does the list concur? Is this the simple gasket problem that I think it is?

It also has minor surging at lower RPM's, I don't know the exact range, since it doesn't have a tach. Pulling away from a stop, it will hunt a little, until I'm going about 10mph, and then everything is fine. What are the common causes of something like this?

The speedometer wasn't working, it didn't take me long to figure out that the C-clip on the wheel hub was gone. I fabbed up a crappy clip, but would like to get one that actually fits correctly, but haven't been able to find a good source yet. The local VW guy said that parts were almost imposssible for him to get for older vans, and told me to look online, but I haven't had luck finding small bits like this. I don't want to replace the whole cable for a clip that should cost about $0.17.

The top had some "work" done to it by a PO. The seals look like they were put on by a blind man, who wiped the excess glue everywhere he could reach. It doesn't leak visibly, but the pop-up canvas is mildewing, so I know that moisture is getting in. The front luggage rack drain is messed up too. There's a tube running right above the drivers door into the rain gutter (pic 021), but it's not hooked to the drain holes in the luggage rack. pic 020 is the underside of the rack, is there supposed to be drain tubing in there? All the water pools up, and drains out a hole in the dead center, above the rearview mirror. Free windshield washer, all I have to do is hit the brakes....

Anyways, I've rambled on enough. Glad to be here!

-- Erik Peterson '83 Vanagon Westfalia Aviano, Italy MotoErik@gmail.com "True wisdom comes to one who has traveled far and knows the ways of the world" Anon Viking poet