Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:02:21 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Overheating? Something to consider
Comments: To: Ed Wiebe <wiebeis@SHAW.CA>

Ed: I oculd be wrong, but I'll bet your spare tire was pushing on one of the rubber hoses and not the plastic. If you have a larger than stock spare in there or have added alloy or aftermarket wheels/tires to your van(or a previous owner has), and your van came from the factory with the stock steel wheels, you may bwell have the wrong radiator hose for your spare. When I re did the whole 9 yards with respect to all the radiator hoses, Ken Wilford suggested that I spend the extra money and get the hose specifically for the alloys(the other may not even be available anymore) in case I ever did. The extra clearance this hose gives might solve your problem as well? Well, maybe next time you flush and fill.

DM&FS

At 08:56 PM 1/26/2007, Ed Wiebe wrote:

>I would like to relate my experience with our 1990 Westy on our >recent trip to Arizona from Vancouver Island. >On our trip back one tire developed a slow leak which forced me to >put on the spare tire while staying overnight in a soft, gravely >campsite. Since the spare had not been removed from it's cradle for >a long time, I struggled to get that thing out from under >there. After some banged up knuckles and forceful language the >thing finally dropped. >So you ask, "What does that have to do with an overheating >problem?" Well, ever since I've had this van, the temperature gauge >needle has been sitting at about 2 needle widths above the red >indicator light. The radiator fan also would come on in stop and go >traffic. The thermostat seemed to function and the radiator was >warm/hot from top to bottom. This overheating was a nagging problem >that I meant to get to eventually. >While driving along highway 1 south of San Francisco, I looked at >the gauge to see that the needle was just above the red indicator >light. In other words, it was running much cooler and at the right >temperature. I stopped immediately and checked everything I could >think of. It all seemed OK, so I started up and continued. >The needle now goes up to the right spot on the gauge and stays there. >The only answer I can come up with is that the spare tire was >pushing onto the plastic coolant pipes and restricting flow enough >to cause a higher running temperature. >Another problem that may be cured is the oil/buzzer alarm coming >on. When the oil was topped up close to the top line on the oil >stick, driving hard for an hour or longer and then bringing the rpms >down quickly to 2000rpms would almost always get the buzzer to go >off. With the cooler engine temperature this has not happened. >This list has helped me with many problems I've encountered, so I >felt I would share this. It is just another thing to consider. >I felt pretty good about this experience. I got a tire leak fixed, >an overheating engine cooled and maybe fixed the oil light/buzzer problem. >Happy travelling to you all! > >Ed Wiebe >1990 Westy > > > >-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Free Edition. >Version: 7.1.410 / Virus Database: 268.17.8/649 - Release Date: 1/23/2007

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.410 / Virus Database: 268.17.8/649 - Release Date: 1/23/2007