Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 27 Jan 2007 23:12:26 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw: A few questions from a newbie
Comments: To: jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM

On the subject of the oil change I seem to remember people having trouble with oil pressure light/buzzer while using an aftermarket oil filter such as FRAM or what have you. Since no one has mentioned this in reference to your problem, I wonder if I remembering this wrong. (Anyone?... anyone?... Bueller?)

Whatever the case I don't think anyone would argue it is best to use OEM oil filter which means using a Mahl or Mann brand filter. They are available from your friends at BusDepot and other retailers so you don't have to pay Authorized VW dealer prices. Of course VW dealers sell them as well and even then I think the last one I bought from VW was about $10.

I believe if you were in a situation where the fuel pump was being fuel starved on and off with the old plugged up gas tank it could have done damage to the pump since, as has been mentioned the constant presence of fuel works to lubricate and keep the pump cool.

Logic would dictate that the fuel pump is designed for (relatively) quite operation. It follows that if it's making noise something is wrong. Although I do conceed that even with this "something wrong" those buggers can last a while. But if it were me and it was making enough noise to cause concern I'd replace it Thursday rather than on the road near Elko, NV on Memorial Day weekend in the dark.

It's true what they say about the squeeky wheel.

Good luck with it all.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA

In a message dated 1/26/2007 8:28:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, jeffmichal@YAHOO.COM writes: Yeah right on. I have heard alot of replies saying to change the high temp viscosity on my oil. I'm gonna try this when I change the oil. Thanks for the tip there, and alot of assurance to stick with my noisy oil pump. I'll check on the tires and lock for sure.

Jeff 90 GL