Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:22:31 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: As my oldest leaves for africa NVC
Comments: To: Bob Donalds <donalds1@VERIZON.NET>

Bob,

If you and the wife did a good job with your daughter's raising up to this point, then not to worry. She will do just fine.

If you have to, reminder her keep in mind that she is a stranger in a strange land, and to be courteous and observant of others customs. That done, she should do great and this will be a rewarding experience.

I had an old and dear friend in Alaska who died last year. She had two daughters and one son. Mother and the three kids had the most georgous flaming red hair you would ever want to see. The four of them together for an outing made quite a spectacle. The kids were raised in the relative isolation of Alaska. After high school, the son stayed in Alaska, but the two girls left Alaska for college, one on the east coast and one on the west coat. They did fine. They never came back to Alaska to live - because life moves on and every child has to eventually make his or her way. One daughter eventually moved to the west coast and became a professional masseuse and works in conjunction with a chiropractic clinic.The other daughter while working on her masters began going to Zimbabwe and other places in Africa as part of her studies and involvement in research. She eventually began work on her PhD at Yale, and continues to this day to travel between Africa and the US, being actively engaged in animal studies (chimps particularly) and environmental issues related to animals. She has done fine.in Africa.

A funny story of the girl in Africa - she goes daily into the deep jungle and sits by herself observing chimps. She sat under the wrong tree one day and some kind of stinging caterpillars with a stinging sticky substance on them got into her clothes and near the end of the day she could stand it no more. She had to go back to camp, scrub down, and change clothes. She felt she was on fire so she stripped down to the buff- except the panties, climbed into her canoe and standing at the rear, poled herself down stream. She made quite a hit with the local villagers. Can you imagine what a vision that must have been to those people - to see some near naked white woman near alabaster skin and long shoulder length flaming red hair rounding the bend in a canoe and landing at the village. She was very popular for a while over the incident, and from what I was told, remains well liked by the locals to this day - not as much for incident, but because of what she is doing with the chimps and other wildlife. The locals appreciate that very much.

They do grow up, they do move on into their own lives and adventures. And we parents will always suffer pangs of concern. Once a parent, always a parent. Once can never get past that. I have sons - fully grown - and I still have those moments in time, you know.

The only thing that I would suggest you talk to her about, if not already done, is tell you daughter to be well aware of her personal security, wherever she goes. Always conduct herself with that in mind, and she will do just fine in Africa.

Many, many years ago my first trip away from home - serious trip - without parental supervision - was to boot camp in the Navy. Near the end of boot camp we got a weekend pass, and our drill instructor - a near 30 year career 'Bo'sun's(Boatswain) -Mate- I can spell it correctly - got us all together - a bunch of green young guys full of piss and vinegar - and told us straight out - you are far from home, never been far from Mom's apron strings - remember one thing when you go into town - Don't go anywhere, or do anything that you wouldn't want to share with your Mom or Jesus Christ. Follow that rule and you will be OK. Well, I followed the rule, got back to base OK. But some guys came back - wallets picked, black eyes, knots on the head from getting struck with a sap while getting rolled for their money, and two guys came back with fractured skulls from blows with a billy stick or marlin spike. Could have been dead. Good rule - traveling with Mom and Jesus Christ. Still pretty much live by it.

Point being here, if she behaves herself, follows your guidelines you have taught her, keeps a keen awareness of her surroundings, and uses her head, your daughter will be safe enough and have a wonderful time.

Rest easy your mind, Bob.

Best Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Bob Donalds wrote: > My daughter Samantha is headed for a semester in Senigal tomorrow. I am both thrilled and teriffied all at once this will be a life changing event for her and my wife and I. > I have spent some time talking to her about the United States while I drove her around over the last few days about how the rest of the world see's us and ower foriegn policys. I was reminded about a letter or article written By a Canadian that was passed around just after 9/11 > it was an older letter and it talked about the contributions the US had made to the rest of the world during disasters and reconstuctions after the world wars > > I could not find it after some googling but would like my girl to read it as she takes the plan ride to the other side of the world. > I want her to be proud of who she is and have a clear understanding that the U.S. has made a positive differace in the world. > > can anybody recall and PLEASE dont make this a thread on politics > > Bob Donalds > proud to be from the United States and of my canadian roots > > >