Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2007, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Jan 2007 20:59:02 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: How do you re-key steering lock cylinder?

Well, since I did not get any responses to this topic, I went ahead and experimented. To avoid damaging my new (but no key) keyed ignition switch, I dug up an old one suitable for experimentation. Since I was unfamiliar with the dismantling procedure w/o a key, I destroyed the old lock in the process.

I will create a "How To" page in my webpage as soon as I can take some suitable pictures. Here's a quick guide on how it can be done. Starting this off with the assumption your lock cylinder is already out of the steering column. There has been ample discussion on this in the List in the past. Instructions for doing this when you have the key for the lock cylinder will be much simpler. This instructions assume you do not have the key. If you have the key, skip steps #6, #7, & #8.

1) Pull the rear portion of the latch to reveal roll pin. You can accomplish this by inserting a key or small screwdriver in the key hole.

2) Locate roll pin and place cylinder on a hard flat surface or hold in a bench vise.

3) Drive pin out with suitable drift punch. A good used small drill bit of appropriate size may be substituted. Use the side dull side of the bit.

4) Once pin is out, separate cylinder and rear actuation parts.

5) Put cylinder on a flat surface preferably with a soft surface so as not to mar or scratch the front of the lock. That's the part of the cylinder you can see when it's installed in your van. =)

6) Look at open slots on either side of the cylinder.

7) Find a suitable tool such as a flattened small screwdriver to push wafers towards the center. You have to do this to both sides to release the cylinder from the barrel.

8) I used cut pieces of zip ties to hold back wafers that I have successfully retracted.

9) Once wafers are aligned, turn slightly so the two locking tabs on each side will line up with the wafer slots.

10) Now just push the lock cylinder out of the barrel gently so as you do not end up with everything on the floor.

11) Pull and manipulate wafers to conform with your new key.

Reverse instructions and you are done.

Happy locksmithing!

BenT Kee